I bought a Radeon RX470. Can't run Mafia 3 properly. Is it the CPU?

zeul1337

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hey there. I bought a Radeon RX470 as the title suggests. Also as I've seen on GPUboss, the RX470 is better than the GeForce GTX 1050. However in Mafia 3, even on low or high details (same difference in frames) I get hiccups and non-fluent gameplay. Like 15-40 fps randomly.

Is it because of my CPU? I know the minimum is an i5 and the recommended(which I all meet besides the CPU) is an i7 but I have a newer-ish generation i3 and I really doubt the CPU makes that much of a difference. Is there a problem with the GPU or is just the CPU that bad?

I also have it on my SSD.

Here's a picture from that website that tells you if you can run a game.

https://s11.postimg.org/icuy21nrn/rec.png

Solution
if it runs the same across different settings, that SHOULD be a cpu bottleneck. you could buy a used 3xxx i5 or i7 off ebay for probably less than 200 if you just wanted to upgrade your cpu.
or there are options to go to skylake but you would need a new motherboard and most likely ram (probalby 300$ish)

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
looks like the cpu to me :D

if its asking for an i5 minimum, its probably looking for 4 cores. if you give it an i3. itll probably bottleneck but you could check it by downloading MSI afterburner and watching your CPU useage. see if its at 100% when you play

Jay Santos

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
What are your game's settings? Do you have all the sliders to the right?

Start with the most absolute lowest settings, except for your monitor's native resolution and work your way up.

By the way, Mafia 3 is a piss poor console port. I'd only buy it for $4.99 from one of Steam's sale.

zeul1337

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

It runs EXACTLY the same on all LOW and all HIGH.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
if it runs the same across different settings, that SHOULD be a cpu bottleneck. you could buy a used 3xxx i5 or i7 off ebay for probably less than 200 if you just wanted to upgrade your cpu.
or there are options to go to skylake but you would need a new motherboard and most likely ram (probalby 300$ish)

Solution