Question I bought a RTX 2070 S

Apr 4, 2020
Upgraded a GTX 1080 to an RTX 2070 Super and now I am having lower fps than before for some reason... only thing I changed on my rig was that ... used DDU to install new drivers and then formatted the pc since it didnt help... dont know what to do

RIG:

Processor

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM
32 GB

anything more specific you might need lmk thank you!

Actually haven’t checked it in a while , I’ll get back to you soon with this answer
well technicaly u dont have to really answer to that
that userbenchmark result kinda tells that your cpu is throttling
base clock 4.2GHz (thats normal operating clock without any power boost)
boost clock 3.7GHz (on average) having lower boost clock than base clock is called thermal throttling

you could do simple aiflow test
open side panel on your case
and run userbenchmark again

Apr 4, 2020
UoqUKhP.jpg

Apr 4, 2020
So what you are saying also is that the GPU can make the CPU overheat ? Because I legit only upgraded the GPU, the only change I made to the PC ever since I first built it

your gp
So what you are saying also is that the GPU can make the CPU overheat ? Because I legit only upgraded the GPU, the only change I made to the PC ever since I first built it
your gpu is designed to push heat inside your case
which just means heat is gonna build up inside case if airflow is not sufficient, also having hot air inside pc means, cpu (alongside other components like vrm) doesnt get cold air they need

Apr 4, 2020
your gp

your gpu is designed to push heat inside your case
which just means heat is gonna build up inside case if airflow is not sufficient, also having hot air inside pc means, cpu (alongside other components like vrm) doesnt get cold air they need

The trouble I am trying to understand is why is it underperforming compared to the GTX 1080 I had, being both GPUs aesthetically similar, being open air with 3 fans.

This is a very simple example, I play League of Legends which it doesn't ask for much of your GPU and I used to play it at 144fps(personally capped to that) and it wouldn't move from that even when there was a lot happening, now I still get those 144fps but soon enough when my character is moving around goes down to 120s or when it's stressing goes down to 80s - 90s which shouldn't be happening...

Had an Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 and now I have a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super

Apr 4, 2020
Perhaps you can remove and then freshly install Nvidia Geforce Experience, which will install the correct driver series for your new GPU...

Already formatted my PC and used Geforce Experience to do the Driver installation and before I formatted I used DDU to uninstall them, formatting was just last resort because I tried to solve it without having to

The trouble I am trying to understand is why is it underperforming compared to the GTX 1080 I had, being both GPUs aesthetically similar, being open air with 3 fans.

This is a very simple example, I play League of Legends which it doesn't ask for much of your GPU and I used to play it at 144fps(personally capped to that) and it wouldn't move from that even when there was a lot happening, now I still get those 144fps but soon enough when my character is moving around goes down to 120s or when it's stressing goes down to 80s - 90s which shouldn't be happening...

Had an Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 and now I have a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
well technicaly theres not much of performance improvement between 1080 and 2070s
as for performance drops, that due to heat differences
open msi afterburner and change fan speed in settings for your GPU
at 80C fan at default should be in somewhat quiet mode (~50% fan speed)
rise it and temperature from gpu will drop

skar1e

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
i have the same issue i7 7700k + 270 super, i upgraded it from a 7870 (old card),

before with my 7870 i was playing overwatch with 200 fps nothing under 150
with the 2070s sometimes it hits 100 or 90

i tried DDU, i tried disabling all services and startup programs and nothing worked

feels like its either a huge bottleneck for 1080p due to cpu not using the videocard at all GPU ussage its under 20% sometimes it hit 30%

or driver issues, havent tried any other drivers yet

or overheating, nothing have changed except for the graphic card.

when i open overwatch it just display 300 fps cap always, then after playing a while and a couple alt-tabs, it hits 120 150 90 frames,

TRENDING THREADS