If you paid for it using PayPal, complain to them the you were sold what has now been discovered to be pirated software and despite that, you received nothing for your money and are glad of it but want a refund since you received nothing from the seller. You have a great chance of getting a refund.

Kenneth Schustereit

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Thanks! I appreciate the answer.

Kenneth Schustereit

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Supposedly this guy had a computer stolen just after purchase. The thieves missed the download that came with the computer. He sent three discs and an authorization code.

If you're correct, where do I get an xp download for my toughbook?

Thanks!

Perhaps you missed the part where PhilFrisbie said:
Microsoft does not provide XP as a download for consumers.
Since Microsoft is the publisher, and does not supply XP as a download, nobody else can offer a legitimate download either. You must purchase the disks like everyone else did.

Kenneth Schustereit

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

So where do I purchase one? When I bought this HP computer it came with a licensed download. I presume the same happened with the guy who sold me this download.

I tried to buy one from microsoft but couldn't find any place on their website to purchase one.

G

Don't confuse the OP, he's confused enough as it is. First he says it's a panasonic toughbook. Then he says it's a HP computer.

Kenneth Schustereit

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Don't confuse the OP, he's confused enough as it is. First he says it's a panasonic toughbook. Then he says it's a HP computer.

Grumpy, the computer I'm on now is a very old HP. The computer I want to put the xp on is a panasonic toughbook. Got it on propertyroom.com where they sell confiscated goods and police surplus. This toughbook was in a police cruiser.

Buuuut, you're right. I get confused easily. I know electricity, not computers.

Merry Christmas!

Kenneth Schustereit

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Oh, now I get it. I was using the wrong term. I bought a set of three CDs with the certificate of authenticity. I incorreectly called it a download. However, I will go to the source you mentioned and buy one there. Thanks! You've been very helpful.

Those are likely recover, or restore, discs, and will not install on a different model computer.

Kenneth Schustereit

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Doesn't really matter right now. I don't even know how to download/upload or whatever onto this Toughbook. The Panasonic Toughbook was designed for Windows XP but I can't even figure out the proper prompts to run the CD! Grumpy is right! I'm totally confused!

Downloading is down from th eInternet to a com-puter - uploading goes the other way. You can do neither without an Operating System and as has been said, you cannot download a legitimate copy if XP. If your Toughbook has a CD drive, the first black screen that shows up when you switch on wll tell you which key to press to get into BIOS ir Setup and once you're in there, find the option to make the CD top oof the boot list. That way, when there's a bootable CD in the drive, it wlil start the system.

XP will then ask you to "Press ay key to boot from CD" and you do that. Setup starts and runs for a few minutes then restarts the machine. The "Press any key" message appears again but ignore it this time - the installation is under way and can start itself by now.

I hope this clarifies things. If the machine has no CDD drive, external USB powered CD ROMs are available quite cheaply.

G

Did you click on the link in my previous post?

Kenneth Schustereit

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Yup, sure did. 404 Error. Did visit the home page there though and typed in CF-29 and no results were found.
I am told that I need the proper command prompts to properly run this XP CD. Have no idea what or where those are.