I bought an OEM Disc for windows 8 x64 pro edition in person and need a win 8 iso to use this year old product key

Pau1A11en

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
This is the original installation media purchased in a store ok. I cant find the damn disc and dont want to use a hacked copy when I have a legit serial. My old hard drive died completely or became damaged when my computer hit the ground (cats) I paid for this not 2yrs ago and am trying to put win 8 back on the same machine even but cant get this iso from anyplace claiming here is a link or use this microsoft tool. none of them work for a regular 8 (vs 8.1) oem serial. This was a system builder orig windows disc what can I do about this?.... Please help

Solution

Windows 8.1 used the same keys as 8. Two of my machines were 8 upgraded to 8.1, using 8 keys. Use the 8.1 Pro x64 option and you'll be fine.

Pau1A11en

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

I was under the impression that Win 8 and 8.1 used separate product keys eg. windows 8 key wouldn't register an 8.1 image, same type (pro x64) or not. I'd actually started this utility but saw the only drop down options were 8.1 ver.
I'm currently downloading the installation media to try this but dont see how a motherboard that came with a windows 7 installation that I then did a clean install from a windows 8 CD is going to somehow recognize or be recognized by a windows 8.1 media creation tool. Or am i missing something fundamental about how things work post ueif paradigm

Windows 8.1 used the same keys as 8. Two of my machines were 8 upgraded to 8.1, using 8 keys. Use the 8.1 Pro x64 option and you'll be fine.

You're not missing something about "post uefi", you're missing a hell of a lot of information about how computers and operating systems work. If your manufacturer has Windows 8 drivers, you can install Windows 8 without problems. In fact, for most systems it's EASIER to install Windows 8 because it includes more generic drivers for newer motherboards. On top of that, the media creation tool only makes an install MEDIA, it doesn't actually install windows. You instead make a DVD or USB stick that can then be used to install.

Solution

Pau1A11en

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

Im aware what media creation tool literally means and if the keys are cross compatible i needn't have bothered but thank you for your time and help clarifying this. Id actually read in a thread here that they had seperate keys in the first place but with the disk made i guess all thats let it seeing how it goes.

tanio1000

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

Basroil is partially correct.

There are Windows 8.1 installation media that do not accept Windows 8 keys. Microsoft was trying to force people to sign up for a Microsoft account by making them upgrade from 8 to 8.1 through the MS store. The keys did work, it's just that that 8.1 install media wouldn't accept them for installation or upgrade.

The workaround was to use a generic install key for the 8.1 installation, then change to your Windows 8 key after everything was up and running, but before attempting activation.

I have heard that the recent ISO's do accept both keys for install, but I have not had a chance to test it myself.

TRENDING THREADS