[SOLVED] I bricked GPU by flashing wrong vBIOS --- can it be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old pc gamer

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Help ! I tried to flash the vbios and I got a wrong one . I forgot to make a backup of the original and now it s bricked . How can I unbrick it ? If I disable the gpu and go with the igpu and I use bootable Nvflash usb drive , it tells me that there is no nvidia adapter . Is there a way to bypass the bios somehow ?

Solution
yep , single bios card , no switch for dual bios or anything , just now i have to do a blind flash and Idk how . I ve watched tutorials , ik the usb works ( tested with another spare card I have to see if i get in that dos menu , but since there is nothing on the screen when 1060 is in my pc , idk if there is any error . I tried to do it blind and let it sit for around 10-15 minutes and then restart but no changes)

For the longest time video card makers did the same thing as satellite companies. There was a fixed section of the ROM which contained the updater code. This code is never changed. It always ran at the same offset no matter the card mfg, as long as the series # was the same. That way if the GPU ROM was corrupted...

old pc gamer

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
What card is it? Is it still under warranty?
forgot to mention
Gpu is : Gtx 1060 ocv1 armor 6g
g57-v1b0106 ( a code on the box )
s/n2 : i716593448 780 ( code on the back of the card )
s/n1 : 602-v328-708b1807005209 (on the back of card )
chk: 200
I think the memory is the micron one since there is an M on some chips 8j877 is a code on all chips
and no , it s out of warranty it served me three years ,

Well, this card is a single bios card as far as I could tell, deffinately not within warranty, You might want to contact MSI support. Even out of warranty they can point you in the right direction for repair. It's gonna cost ya but likely less than a new card.

old pc gamer

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Well, this card is a single bios card as far as I could tell, deffinately not within warranty, You might want to contact MSI support. Even out of warranty they can point you in the right direction for repair. It's gonna cost ya but likely less than a new card.
yep , single bios card , no switch for dual bios or anything , just now i have to do a blind flash and Idk how . I ve watched tutorials , ik the usb works ( tested with another spare card I have to see if i get in that dos menu , but since there is nothing on the screen when 1060 is in my pc , idk if there is any error . I tried to do it blind and let it sit for around 10-15 minutes and then restart but no changes)

For the longest time video card makers did the same thing as satellite companies. There was a fixed section of the ROM which contained the updater code. This code is never changed. It always ran at the same offset no matter the card mfg, as long as the series # was the same. That way if the GPU ROM was corrupted it was easy to fix using a blind flash method. (This is also how they fix satellites that have bugs, hardware failures, or hit by cosmic rays which fries even bullet hardened NAND cells and CPU's. This is also how they update things like the Mars Rovers)

As far as I can tell, this practice is no longer consistent. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing they query the card now to determine the update location. So the days of blind flashing upgrading a GPU from one ROM to another is a dicey proposition.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.