Question I broke gpu 12vhpwr safety clip when unplugging adapter

Nov 7, 2022
Hello,

I know already, Im stupid. I have an RTX 4090. My PSU ATX 3.0 arrived today and I was so enthusiast to install it and getting rid of that 12vhpwr adapter that when I unplugged it from gpu I forgot latching the clip, and the safety on GPU side was broke.
It is safe to use it like that? The new connector from PSU its holding very strong there, If I try to unplug it fall out very hard. Can that safety tab be replaced?

Also, should a vertical mount would be better without safety tab on gpu part? I think mounted vertically there is not much tension or vibration that would make the adapter slipping of connector.

You're not stupid, you just made a mistake. Everyone does that at some point or other.

And you've removed the somewhat troublesome NVidia adapter and got an ATX 3.0 power supply, the cable from that power supply is likely to be far better quality and won't pull on the cables like the adapters seems to do if the bend in them is sharp.

If it's snug in the socket, the cable isn't under any particular tension or strain and everything is working, I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the new card and system.

Reactions: sisshu099
Nov 7, 2022
You're not stupid, you just made a mistake. Everyone does that at some point or other.

And you've removed the somewhat troublesome NVidia adapter and got an ATX 3.0 power supply, the cable from that power supply is likely to be far better quality and won't pull on the cables like the adapters seems to do if the bend in them is sharp.

If it's snug in the socket, the cable isn't under any particular tension or strain and everything is working, I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the new card and system.
I broke the safety clip on gpu side not adapter side.. thats why Im worried. If I cant loosen it with my hand I dont think it`ll get loose because of vibrations.. but better safe than sorry

DSzymborski

Titan
Let's come from the other side. Since the clip is broken and there's not really much you can do about it, there's no reason to stress yourself out worrying about it. What's done is done. Outside of making it as stable as possible with a little bit of home engineering, there's not much to do.

Reactions: sisshu099
Nov 7, 2022
Can you give me an example, please, of a home engineering to make it stable? Im just afraid to do something because of the 600w, I dont want to melt the gpu

DSzymborski

Titan
Can you give me an example, please, of a home engineering to make it stable? Im just afraid to do something because of the 600w, I dont want to melt the gpu

For instance, jury-rigging some kind of support or anything designed to prevent GPU sag. Or ensuring that there's as little force on the GPU's power connector as possible through good cable routing.

Yes, there's a chance that problem with the broken connector could cause a significant GPU problem at some point. But that's true from now to the day the GPU dies forever; the damage is already done.

When my grandfather was in his 90s, he was diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm. Given his advanced age, there was nothing they could do about it. Since it was out of his control, he chose to not let it trouble him and live his life. He lived another five years and died from an unrelated issue.

Do what you can to make sure the connector seems as stable as possible. And then enjoy the GPU whether it dies in a week or a decade.

Nov 7, 2022
For instance, jury-rigging some kind of support or anything designed to prevent GPU sag. Or ensuring that there's as little force on the GPU's power connector as possible through good cable routing.

Yes, there's a chance that problem with the broken connector could cause a significant GPU problem at some point. But that's true from now to the day the GPU dies forever; the damage is already done.

When my grandfather was in his 90s, he was diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm. Given his advanced age, there was nothing they could do about it. Since it was out of his control, he chose to not let it trouble him and live his life. He lived another five years and died from an unrelated issue.

Do what you can to make sure the connector seems as stable as possible. And then enjoy the GPU whether it dies in a week or a decade.

Thank you so much! I m thinking to purchase a gpu riser and then tie the cable straight (avoiding bending issue too) and tight so in time no force can make it slip from connector, also being on vertical are less chances to slip up from connector, especially if the cable is tied.