I broke Grand theft Auto V

Feb 19, 2016
Hi I was messing around in Grand Theft Auto V with mods and I tried to install a new one which I did by putting it in the game files. It seems I made a horrible mess of this because when I booted up the game again and tried to load story mode, it froze mid loading & displayed this message - "Failed initialisation. Please reboot and restart the game. Try reinstalling the game if this persists" under the heading "ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT" I completely uninstalled the mod & tried restarting my PC but this had no effect. I've also tried a variety of other fixes from the net but none have worked. Can anyone help?

Cheers in advance,
Rob

Sedivy

Estimable
I'd reinstall the game. Your saves unless you specifically check to get rid of them, should be left behind after uninstall so you lose nothing really by it. If you're worried still, you can connect to steam and save it on steam cloud, so that it's not dependent on your local install at all.

Feb 19, 2016

I don't really want to do that. It took me 3 days to download

When I have a mod that screws up Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator (both on Steam), I can go back to a previous time I saved the game and replace the saved game file with an earlier version. It's not in your Steam game directory and instead in a Windows directory like this for mine (opening with Windows Explorer for example):

C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME HERE\AppData\Roaming\ETS2

Feb 19, 2016

I've got to the directory where the save files are put, now what?

It's been over a year since I've had to do it. I had two Windows directory folders open, one for my saved game file, the other for my actual game directory. I then copied the gave same file over to the game directory. I'm not at my gaming PC at the moment and would give a more accurate answer if I could walk myself through what I did again on that PC. Be careful because one wrong move can wipe it out.

Well you've come here for advice & suggestions - - - if you don't want to try a perfectly sensible suggestion like re-install that's up to you. It might take you well over three days looking for a different fix (which you may never find), so another long download may be worth it in the long run.

Sedivy

Estimable
If you're bandwidth limited or just slow connection limited, I'd still suggest reinstall, but I'd also suggest you make a copy/backup of your entire game folder once you're done, so that in the future, you can just copy/paste from your backup to avoid these issues.
If there is an individual fix, and there very well might be I wouldn't know it. I know from several of my other games, after too much time spent troubleshooting (at the time I too was bandwidth limited), I ended up just having to reinstall after all but I learned to back up since.

^^That. I had to expand a partition on storage HDD for my Steam games and lost two games in the process. Games that I had hundreds of hours in. I assumed it would be a space expansion with no file removal. Wrong. Ever since, I regularly back up all game saved data. One thing I've noticed is that Steam accessed games don't ever store exactly in the same locations. I have to hunt different directories to find my Project Cars and DiRT Rally saved game data for example. While my experience restoring ATS and ETS2 for mods worked, it may not for other games depending on how they manage game saved files.

Feb 19, 2016
UPDATE - Sorry I left this thread for so long but I'm still having issues even after a re intstall. I could post my error log if anyone's interested. Also it's worth noting that several other games now crash on launch, such as Just Cause 3, BeamNG Drive & Kerbal Space Program