Question I broke one of ram sticks

Jan 5, 2019
I recently changed my cpu cooler for my ssf system,
but my ram was too high so had to take of the heatsicks. I lost focus and broke "something" off 1 of the sticks
tgQLWnJ.jpg

so I don't think I use my warranty in this case, so I have few questions

My RAM = DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18-38, PC4-25600

Can I use a different ram brand?
I'm looking at a "Crucial Ballistix Sport LT" DDR4-3200 CL16 (16-18-18) PC4-25600, but what will happen to the XMP when they are different?

Jan 5, 2019
Looks like you've scraped a chunk of the solder, but the picture doesn;t seem too clear to me (or my eyes are not working, which is a possibility).

Have you actually verified that the module no longer works?

yes I tested it, everytime this ram is in my PC, it just powers up with a black screen ;(

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Can I use a different ram brand?
I'm looking at a "Crucial Ballistix Sport LT" DDR4-3200 CL16 (16-18-18) PC4-25600, but what will happen to the XMP when they are different?

Maybe
Mixing & matching RAM can cause random instability, or crashes etc. It's not recommended, but theoretically possible.

The "best" solution would be to replace your kit with a matching 2x whatever kit. It's not the most cost effective, but can avoid random troubleshooting - and in your case, something like LPX would be better due to it;s low profile.

another picture
GAIoUNc.jpg

What's on the other side of the PCB?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There's a pretty good chance someone with appropriate soldering skills could repair it, yes.
However, it's likely not to be particularly economical. Any shop is (almost certainly) going to charge you a minimum for labour - I would assume that's going to be somewhere around $50.

Given a kit of 2x8GB LPX is ~$75 and you could recoup $20 easily selling your remaining, functional 1x8GB, you'd be in for roughly the same expense

Jan 5, 2019
There's a pretty good chance someone with appropriate soldering skills could repair it, yes.
However, it's likely not to be particularly economical. Any shop is (almost certainly) going to charge you a minimum for labour - I would assume that's going to be somewhere around $50.

Given a kit of 2x8GB LPX is ~$75 and you could recoup $20 easily selling your remaining, functional 1x8GB, you'd be in for roughly the same expense

ahh makes sense
one more question does it have to be a set? I found that 2x single stick would be cheaper than a set weird enough

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Doesn't have to be, no. But same deal - anything not sold together in retail kits can potentially have problems.

Individual 1x8 dimms of the same brand/speed/timings etc should you have the next best chance of just working, but there's no guarantees.