[SOLVED] I built my first computer, booted once but then didnt

May 23, 2021
So i just built my first computer, and before putting it into the case i put it on my motherboard box and test booted. i successfully booted into the bios. then i put it in my case and i pressed the power button...and nothing. no mobo leds or anything. i tried to reseat the psu cables, both the ones on my modular psu and the ones attached to the motherboard and the graphics card, and i also tried to remove the power button connectors and tried to jump the cable on my own. the only thing i saw flashing on my mother board was the FLASH BIOS button on my tomahawk max when i pressed it. also i did the paper clip test on my psu and confirmed it was working, but the fan doesnt spin when i connect it to the motherboard. i disassembled my computer again and am now back on the motherboard box. still no luck. please help because i have no idea what to do

Solution
You need to short(touch both of them with a piece of metal) the Power switch pins on this diagram if you're still not sure:
Bu8rjEo.jpg

Are you sure that everything is plugged in properly? Check everything on this guide before you go any further:

As a last resort thing, You should pull the motherboard out again and check if everything works. If it works fine outside the case, check if the motherboard is touching the case anywhere... check thoroughly.
So i just built my first computer, and before putting it into the case i put it on my motherboard box and test booted. i successfully booted into the bios. then i put it in my case and i pressed the power button...and nothing. no mobo leds or anything. i tried to reseat the psu cables, both the ones on my modular psu and the ones attached to the motherboard and the graphics card, and i also tried to remove the power button connectors and tried to jump the cable on my own. the only thing i saw flashing on my mother board was the FLASH BIOS button on my tomahawk max when i pressed it. also i did the paper clip test on my psu and confirmed it was working, but the fan doesnt spin when i connect it to the motherboard. i disassembled my computer again and am now back on the motherboard box. still no luck. please help because i have no idea what to do
Pull the lithium battery from the mobo with no power connected and wait 10min

May 23, 2021
What speed is your RAM? Also, Do you have the RAM seated in slots A2 and B2,(2nd and 3rd slots?) If it is not booting still, try using just one RAM stick and see if it will boot.
Its 3200 mhz. Ram sticks are seated in A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th slots) I'll try booting with 1 stick. Like i said in my post, my system did boot once, and all 16 gigs were showing in the bios

May 23, 2021
yep, its on the qvl list. i tried with one stick, but still no luck. At this point , im wondering if there is just an issue with the way i jump the pins

You need to short(touch both of them with a piece of metal) the Power switch pins on this diagram if you're still not sure:
Bu8rjEo.jpg

Are you sure that everything is plugged in properly? Check everything on this guide before you go any further:

As a last resort thing, You should pull the motherboard out again and check if everything works. If it works fine outside the case, check if the motherboard is touching the case anywhere... check thoroughly.

Last edited:
Reactions: BluZebra
Solution
May 23, 2021
Bu8rjEo.jpg

As a last resort thing, You should pull the motor out again and check if everything works. If it works fine outside the case, check if the motherboard is touching the case anywhere... check thoroughly.
Issue is fixed now. Thanks for all the suggestions. turns out what i had to do was change the connector on the cpu cable on the psu. not too sure what happened. currently installing windows :D

Reactions: kurdtnz