[SOLVED] I built my PC. Now it's a stuttering mess that can't update Windows!

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Wassup y'all, I'm back said I'd make a video but honestly I wanted it to be a niche promotion of how badass TomsHardware is....anyways I keep getting INSANE stuttering. Just on the desktop alone, no games.

GPU: MSI Gaming Radeon RX 5500 XT Boost Clock: 1845 MHz 128-bit 4GB GDDR6 DP/HDMI Dual Torx 3.0 Fans Freesync VR Ready Graphics Card (RX 5500 XT MECH 4G OC) (Radeon RX 5500 XT MECH 4G OC)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black
(I set the RAM to 3200mhz without XMP, because I don't know how to do that otherwise)

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)
(I think the SSD is causing stuttering)

MOBO: ASUS TUF B450M-PRO GAMING AMD Ryzen 3 AM4 DDR4, HDMI, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Aura Sync RGB LED Lighting Micro-ATX ...

PSU: A-power 650w 80+ certified to handle 85% load.

Also W10 is stuck trying to install the last 19xx update at 3% install. I have waited 40 minutes for it to install, it's just stuck. <----- It finally installed as I was typing this.

Last edited:
Wassup y'all, I'm back said I'd make a video but honestly I wanted it to be a niche promotion of how badass TomsHardware is....anyways I keep getting INSANE stuttering. Just on the desktop alone, no games.

GPU: MSI Gaming Radeon RX 5500 XT Boost Clock: 1845 MHz 128-bit 4GB GDDR6 DP/HDMI Dual Torx 3.0 Fans Freesync VR Ready Graphics Card (RX 5500 XT MECH 4G OC) (Radeon RX 5500 XT MECH 4G OC)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black
(I set the RAM to 3200mhz without XMP, because I don't know how to do that otherwise)

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)
(I think the SSD is causing stuttering)

MOBO: ASUS TUF B450M-PRO GAMING AMD Ryzen 3 AM4 DDR4, HDMI, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Aura Sync RGB LED Lighting Micro-ATX ...

PSU: A-power 650w 80+ certified to handle 85% load.

Also W10 is stuck trying to install the last 19xx update at 3% install. I have waited 40 minutes for it to install, it's just stuck. <----- It finally installed as I was typing this.
In Asus MBs XMP is called DOCP, you need to enable it and set to 3200. It also matters where RAM sticks are inserted, A2 and B2 slots.

Reactions: anceintsz

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
In Asus MBs XMP is called DOCP, you need to enable it and set to 3200. It also matters where RAM sticks are inserted, A2 and B2 slots.

Still have insane stuttering, would the SSD be able to make that happen?

EDIT: Tried setting it back to auto in UEFI BIOS, still stutters like crazy. Very difficult to point the mouse and click on anything!

EDIT2: Changed it back to D.O.C.P. @ 3200mhz and it doesn't stutter anymore? Will post updates on the regular to see how this goes!

EDIT3: I figured out what it was. The processor was automatically OCing itself past 3.95ghz. It was unstable going from 3.95 to 4.02 to 4.00 back to 3.90!

If anyone has a problem with their R5 3600 with this specific MOBO, even if you update the BIOS like I did, keep an eye on the CPU frequency!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some answers:
Without DOCP(XMP) your RAM was running at low base frequency 2133MHz and that can cause stuttering, Ryzen is very fond of fast memory and so are most of modern games. Setting RAM frequency manually does not change all of it's parameters need to be most efficient at that speed.
R5 3600 is supposed to boost up to 4.2GHz on one core and about 4GHz on others. Some cause for it's instability at those frequencies could be high heat and/or insufficient power delivery as well as BIOS not allowing high enough voltage.
Boost can be somewhat regulated by PBO settings which at it being enabled and set to maximum would make it boost to it's best performance and that's when we come back to heat issues. Best results are when temperature is not higher than 62-65c eventually 70c after which it gets less stable. For that, OEM cooler is just not enough and should be changed to something better.

Reactions: anceintsz

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Some answers:
Without DOCP(XMP) your RAM was running at low base frequency 2133MHz and that can cause stuttering, Ryzen is very fond of fast memory and so are most of modern games. Setting RAM frequency manually does not change all of it's parameters need to be most efficient at that speed.
R5 3600 is supposed to boost up to 4.2GHz on one core and about 4GHz on others. Some cause for it's instability at those frequencies could be high heat and/or insufficient power delivery as well as BIOS not allowing high enough voltage.
Boost can be somewhat regulated by PBO settings which at it being enabled and set to maximum would make it boost to it's best performance and that's when we come back to heat issues. Best results are when temperature is not higher than 62-65c eventually 70c after which it gets less stable. For that, OEM cooler is just not enough and should be changed to something better.

I just tested out AC Origins and the cpu temp stayed around 82c but it was stable! Thank you for explanation, too!

It's a tight-packed system with that 5500 xt in there but it gets the job done, just hopefully won't have to do any hardware change anytime soon!

I just tested out AC Origins and the cpu temp stayed around 82c but it was stable! Thank you for explanation, too!

It's a tight-packed system with that 5500 xt in there but it gets the job done, just hopefully won't have to do any hardware change anytime soon!
At that temp frequency rightfully dropped as it should, keeping stability, it also works in unison with memory and those are all good signs.

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
At that temp frequency rightfully dropped as it should, keeping stability, it also works in unison with memory and those are all good signs.

It stuttering again cries I've been working on this thing since 1 p.m. yesterday

EDIT: Wait, wait wait....I installed a PCI wireless adapter, and I keep seeing spikes on the network usage chart...it couldn't be that..

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
I'm embarrassed to admit, but for purposes of helping anyone who comes across this issue. It was just the bluetooth wireless mouse. There wasn't a system-wide stutter. It was just the damn mouse. throws it across the room

Reactions: vMax