[SOLVED] I bumped into my PC with my chair and now i have the Automatic Repair loop issue and my display won't work

Nov 3, 2020
I have tried most of the things i found on the internet (my PC is currently checking the disc) but i think they are all more software oriented and im afraid as i pumped into the PC with my chair as the issue occured that it is infact a hardware issue that i caused.

I bumped into the PC thinking i accidentally pressed the Power off Button or slightly disconnected the power cable as my screen switched off and displayed "no video input". The PC was still running though. After killing it off by pressing the button and restarting it the same way nothing changed.. so i connected it with the hdmi cable to my TV and now i can see the bluescreen of death with the autorepair issue. i have tried most things i found online. my pc is currently checking the disc which will take several hours i guess.

What could i have broken by bumping into my pc that may cause autorepair to fail and my screen to not work anymore?

Im sorry i bet this is a question where one could answer: everything and nothing. i really hope i can get it to work again as my database for my doctorate is on there.

thank you for your help in advance!

Solution
Well, I really hoped it was the motherboard (as it would explain the screen not working), now the only culprit is the HDD/RAM combo and none of those are known to do that. Still one more thing though, if you hadn't tried already, can you do a hard reboot? (Plug the PC off, switch the PSU off, press the power button repeatedly for 15-20 seconds) I really don't have much explanation about how much that helps, but it sometimes restores monitor connections.

For the next step I'll go around a few more things to test to see if it's really those parts or a problem on the motherboard that can't be seen from outside. Let's start up with the RAM. Better safe than sorry, wouldn't want it to have problems while testing the disks (not that there...
Nov 3, 2020
Thank you so much for your Reply!

This comes up when im trying to enter safe mode....

IMG_20201104_041651.jpg

Nov 3, 2020

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
It boots, that's good news. This means your motherboard and other stuff is working as intended (pro tip, you can use that USB to back your doctorate database up to another drive) and what could be the problem? Most likely something with the drive. Just to make sure, can you go ahead and give the hardware on the PC a thorough check? Like, open it up, see if there is something wrong, burnt stuff, broken stuff, etc. And replug all those cables and parts you can, drives, RAM, PSU cables, GPU if you have one etc (If you haven't done it before, it's pretty easy. Think about it as an expensive set of LEGO. You'll just need a cheap ESD bracelet (basically, it discharges static from you so you don't fry parts accidentally) and maybe a screwdriver.) Most of the cases where something goes off because of a physical reason a thorough check by hand is the solution.

Don't worry about the HDD, it should be pretty secure inside the case (and it takes way more than throwing chairs in them to break them)

Nov 3, 2020
It boots, that's good news. This means your motherboard and other stuff is working as intended (pro tip, you can use that USB to back your doctorate database up to another drive) and what could be the problem? Most likely something with the drive. Just to make sure, can you go ahead and give the hardware on the PC a thorough check? Like, open it up, see if there is something wrong, burnt stuff, broken stuff, etc. And replug all those cables and parts you can, drives, RAM, PSU cables, GPU if you have one etc (If you haven't done it before, it's pretty easy. Think about it as an expensive set of LEGO. You'll just need a cheap ESD bracelet (basically, it discharges static from you so you don't fry parts accidentally) and maybe a screwdriver.) Most of the cases where something goes off because of a physical reason a thorough check by hand is the solution.

Don't worry about the HDD, it should be pretty secure inside the case (and it takes way more than throwing chairs in them to break them)

i did as you said and besides the connection between the motherboard and the psu (back when i had to exchange my broken psu it was already a pain to plug it in so i think that might be it) and i cannot unplug the ram as its hidden behind the little cooling ventilator. i could replug the rest and everything seemed fine so far. i see no fried bits or damaged hardware. im still wondering why it wont let me into safemode though. im just glad i could rescue everything i badly needed though ubuntu!

Do you have any more ideas what else i could try?

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Well, I really hoped it was the motherboard (as it would explain the screen not working), now the only culprit is the HDD/RAM combo and none of those are known to do that. Still one more thing though, if you hadn't tried already, can you do a hard reboot? (Plug the PC off, switch the PSU off, press the power button repeatedly for 15-20 seconds) I really don't have much explanation about how much that helps, but it sometimes restores monitor connections.

For the next step I'll go around a few more things to test to see if it's really those parts or a problem on the motherboard that can't be seen from outside. Let's start up with the RAM. Better safe than sorry, wouldn't want it to have problems while testing the disks (not that there would be any data loss, but you'd have to redo hours worth of effort again)

Download memtest86+, and follow the instructions on the site to write it to an USB stick. Boot the PC from it and start testing. At least 4 passes, better leave it on overnight. You want nothing more than zero errors.

Solution