[SOLVED] I Can’t figure out what’s wrong with my house Ethernet wiring.

Fixmypcpleaseidk

Prominent
May 23, 2019
I have been using a power line adapter for internet but today I decided to change out my phone ports to Ethernet ports and find out where all the lines go. I did the basics of using a multimeter to test for conductivity by connecting two wires and testing the counterparts at the wire hub. The multimeter works fine and but none of the wires worked. And none of the ports connect to each other. My guess was that the cords are all just broken somewhere but I looked at the print on the Ethernet cords. The ones at all the ports are a completely different brand and slightly darker blue than the cords that come to the hub. I can’t find any other hub nor can I see where the wires change brand. I’ve never used the Ethernet lines before so there’s no telling if they even work but I have no other ideas.

Solution
My suggestion: Reverse engineer the situation.

In other words, go online and search for "how-to's" and other DIYs (Do it Yourself) regarding installing a home network with Ethernet cables, wall jacks, patch panels, etc.,

Then based on what you learn, take another look at your physical environment.

Re-read the print on the cables: some may not even be legitimate Ethernet cables.....

Draw a simple diagram showing all cables, ports, connections, etc..

Conductivity is one thing. Ethernet cables (twisted pairs) are designed to eliminate and reduce interference.

Other cables/wiring, such as telephone, are not.

You may not truly have Ethernet wiring.

Ralston18

Titan

In other words, go online and search for "how-to's" and other DIYs (Do it Yourself) regarding installing a home network with Ethernet cables, wall jacks, patch panels, etc.,

Re-read the print on the cables: some may not even be legitimate Ethernet cables.....

Conductivity is one thing. Ethernet cables (twisted pairs) are designed to eliminate and reduce interference.

Solution

popatim

Titan
Look for a room above the basement with a 'phone line' and then find the wiring for it in the basement and see where it goes.

Residential phones didn't really use hubs from my experience, its all just parallel connections from the main line. You might have a small square box in the basement with the few 'phonelines' coming out of it and all those tied to the mainline coming in.

Also, remove the cover in one of the rooms for the phone jack and see if the network cable is tucked in there too. I've seen that before too.

Fixmypcpleaseidk

Prominent
May 23, 2019

All of the wiring does have cat 5e on it. I’ve checked all the ports use an Ethernet cord but just don’t use the extra lines the phones don’t need but I will also take a deeper look, thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Also take a close look at the Cat 5e cable to ensure that it is all copper - not copper clad aluminum.

And be sure to examine the punch downs on both ends. Too many installers treated ethernet much the same as telephone wiring. Ethernet installation/connectivity standards are much higher.

TRENDING THREADS