[SOLVED] I can’t get new build to boot ?

Mar 17, 2023
Hi, I’ve upgraded my old desktop so I can use Windows 11. I’m upgrading from an AMD3 socket to AMD4.

These are the parts I’ve upgraded with so far:
I have the motherboard as Aorus B550 Elite AX V2 Rev. 1.3.
I have the CPU as Ryzen 5 5600X.
I have the RAM as GSkill TridentZ, DDR4-3000 16GBx2.
I have the GPU as Radeon RX 6400.

These are the original parts I kept in place:
I have two hybrid HDD’s for storage and 1 SSD for the operating system.
I have a Corsair 800w power supply, and an Asus monitor.
HDMI has been tested on other equipment and is working.

Here’s what I’ve done and run into so far: I installed the new mobo, put all of the offset screws into place ‘although it looks like I am missing one’ seated the cpu and locked down the arm. Screwed in the pre thermal applied cpu cooler that came with it. Seated the memory in slots 2 & 4 moving from the one’s closest to the cpu then outward. Plugged in all the peripherals to the mobo, fans, case power controls, usb, etc. seated the original GPU ‘XFX R7770’ and connected power to it. Plugged in power for the mobo and cpu.

Downloaded from a laptop onto a Fat32 usb the updated BIOS 1.3, extracted it, and renamed the file GIGABYTE.BIN. Turned on power at PSU, inserted usb in appropriate slot under QFlash button, and pressed QFlash. Orange LED came on and blinked. About 30 seconds in computer powered up, fans spun, memory lit up RGB colors, DVD drive made noises, and so did the hybrid HDD’s. Orange light quit flashing about 3.5 minutes in and power stayed on. No HDMI signal detected on monitor. Restarted but same result.

Had another cpu sent out for replacement. Replaced GPU thinking since it was old maybe the bios wasn’t supporting it at boot. New GPU doesn’t have power hook ups so I assume the mobo is enough.

Tried updating bios again after installing new cpu and GPU but same result. Also tried updating bios with no cpu; the orange light flashed longer and the power cut off after it finished flashing, but still same result. Moved the memory around in all fashions hoping that may change something. Unplugged peripherals from the mobo. Reseated GPU.

I always hear the fans spin up, the dvd drive makes its noises, hdd’s make their noises, and the memory lights up. But still no video output that would let me get into a bios.

I didn’t see my particular MHz of memory supported with this mobo, but I called gskill and they said it hasnt been tested on this mobo but should be fine.

I tried amd tech support to get a loaner cpu that doesn’t need a bios update but can’t make much progress with them. They tell me the blinking orange lights are indicative of a bad mobo and send it back, but the Qflashback states that is what it’s supposed to do.

Thank you deeply for any assistance.

Mar 17, 2023
Now I’m wondering if maybe I didn’t even need to use the q flash because I’m reading that the mobo I purchased may have came with firmware already supporting my 5600x cpu.

Can you mess a board up by q flashing a bios file from gigabyte’s website that matched your board IF it came with a pre installed bios that supported your cpu?

Mar 17, 2023
Well I got a brand new mobo replacement in today just like the OG and same results. Man, what am I missing? The box says it’s AMD 5000 ready. No attempts to q flashback this one yet, just trying it right out of the box.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023
The specific speed of my memory is not supported by my mobo…I called gskill about it and they said it has not been tested on my model mobo but that it ‘‘should be fine.’ Could this be the problem; Speed, mhz issues with the RAM causing no boot?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023
Hi, I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone that runs into this same problem. It was the incompatible memory. Got some compatible memory in today that’s been tested on this mobo and immediately noticed the mobo’s lights coming on in the back and then it booted up and I’m up and running.

The memory that worked is G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-25600) DDR4 3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V

TRENDING THREADS