I can feel electricity in on my pc case.

Feb 18, 2018
On the metal hinges for my side panels I can feel a constant flow of electricity. The hinges are made out of metal and are on the backside of my case. I tried taking the PSU out of the case and tried running the system that way. This eliminated the feeling of electricity. The PSU itself didn't give me any shocks when I touched it. I tried changing the PSU, but the issue was still there. My house is grounded. Can anyone help me?

skywalkerqq

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Try looking inside your psu, there could be a loose or frayed wire. Also look for damaged cables, if they touch anything then it messes everything up. If this doesn't help, you can get rubber washers and mount the psu using those, but its only a temporary solution.

Feb 18, 2018

The psu looks fine. As I said I even tried a second one with defferent cabels. Do you think something can be seriously wrong?

skywalkerqq

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017

Can you make sure it is the psu? It could just be the fan vibrating. Maybe one of the mounting screws is touching something it should not. I would contact the manufacturer just in case.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
It could be as simple as it's just you not being the same ground level as your PC. The air dries during winters in northernerer-ish parts and if you've got carpeting, for instance, you're most likely building a charge just by walking around. The grounded metal case is then doing what it's supposed to do, save the electronics from that charge that would otherwise burn a chip. It sounds improbable that the case is holding a charge as it should be connected to the grounded lead on multiple points, through almost every component in the PC.
You can always try and get hold of a digital multimeter to see if there is a charge difference on the case compared to the ground connector of the inside of the power supply. Beware of what your sticking where on a running PC. Don't touch anything high voltage, don't short any power leading parts with the grounded parts and always ground yourself while doing it. If you're not sure what is what, don't do this as you can fry the computer or power supply or you. :)

Feb 18, 2018

It is the psu. When i removed it it went away

skywalkerqq

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017

You said earlier that you only took it out of the case, do you have another psu to troubleshoot with? Use a different one and test that for a day or two. And if you're doing this on carpet wearing socks, theres probably nothing wrong.

Feb 18, 2018

I tested it with another PSU and the issue was still there, but when I tested the psu outside the case the problem went away.

skywalkerqq

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017

put the psu in your case, but dont mount it, instead put a piece of cardboard underneath it. This will tell us if any power or vibrations are going from the psu to the chassis. This will only work if the psu is only touching the cardboard. Go ahead and touch the psu when its like this, if you feel the electricity then its either the fan vibrating or a transistor. Sometimes psu's make high pitched noises or vibrations, its just manufacturing errors.

Feb 18, 2018

If it is electricity and not vibration should I be worried. It seems to be quite week.

skywalkerqq

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017

You shouldn't be worried at all, computer towers today are designed to route all power into the atmosphere because steel and aluminum hold barely any charge. And they encompass all the components without conducting with any parts, this is why motherboards have standoff screws that connect directly to the pcb, and the pcb is non-conductive. so no matter what, you shouldn't be worried. We are simply trying to identify what the "electricity" feel is. It could very easily be a high frequency vibration that you can't hear. But its good to know if it might be harmful in the future.

Feb 18, 2018

Thanks. It feels like something pokeing me with a tiny tainy needle very fast. I think it is electricity while my mother is convinced it is a mixture of vibration and cold metal. The thing is I'm unsure how it can be vibration since i can feel it even when the pc is off (i do get coil whine from the PSU even when it off though). The wierd thing is that I can't feel it when I touch it with my finger, I can only feel it when I touch it with my upperlip. Also I found out that I can feel it even when the PSU is outside the case.

Feb 18, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from tobiaskallevik : "I can feel electricity in on my pc case and im very worried."

On some metal spots on my pc case i can feel a tiny bit of electrisity. I can't feel it with my finger, but when I accidentally tuched a metal spot on my case with my upper lip I could feel it. I've tried different powersockets, surge protector, PSUs, I've tightened all the motherboard screws and I've tried to set the pc ontopp of a rubber mat. I can feel the electricity on the side panel hinges and on the back of the motherboard standoff screws behind the motherboard. I can even feel it a bit when the computer is off but plugged in. I first noticed this a little over a month ago, but it might have been there much longer than that. My case is a Phanteks enthoo evolv matx. I'm have anxiety so when I notice something like this I get really worried. Can someone help me?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from tobiaskallevik : "Motherboard makes cracking sounds."

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Please don't start a new thread to ask the same previous question. Follow up in your original thread with the others who have been helping.

Seems you have a short somewhere in your build. Time to disassemble and double-check everything and how it is all connected.