Question I can get into the bios page but can't change the boot source.

macciofe

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2012
MB is a gigabyte B450M DS3H. The computer will not boot into windows 1 0. When I get into the bios I cant change the boot source to say a usb port. There are 2 options both to do with my Sabrent SSD. Not sure the problem isn't a Win 10 problem. Any ideas appreciated.

macciofe

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2012
There is nothing plugged into the port yet but I'm going to try bootable win 10.
I started working on the problem thinking it is a Win 10 problem but not sure. Called msft and they said first try downloading boot version on usb flash drive.
Then I started trying to see if I could set bios to boot from usb port but don't see how to change it from sabrent ssd. When the computer boots it hangs at gigabyte logo and "Preparing Automatic Repair" which I think is from Win 10???

macciofe

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2012
OK thanks rgd1101. I learned a lot about the bootable flash drive and was able to boot from it. I end up stopping in the same place as when I boot from the hard drive (ssd). I display the gigabyte logo and then the circle of dots never completes a circle. 5 dots remain and computer hangs with no keyboard or mouse. I can get into the bios and change the boot order etc. with mouse and keyboard working. Any ideas at this point welcomed. If it is a hardware problem not sure where to look. 1 SSD, 2 Mbd, 3, RAM, 4 Processor, Cables ???
I think you need spare parts to try things. I am hoping someone here has had a similar problem and found the answer.

macciofe

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2012
Motherboard is gigabyte B450M DS3H
Ryzen 5 3400G APU/GPU
16 Gigabytes of Ram
Sabrent 500GB SSD
WiFi card
450 Watt PS Thermaltake.

I assembled computer at home.
Computer worked for about 1 month.
Last win 10 update (Friday) KB file
Fully updated running ver. 1909.
Ran cleanmgr Fri.
Computer worked Saturday and Hung on Monday 10 am.
Frozen msft circle no mouse or kbd.

macciofe

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2012
Removed hard drive (ssd) in case it was loading the bus and no change while booting from usb bootable source.

Last info line displayed when it hangs is:
Launching 'efi\boot\bootx64.efi'...

Reseated memory sticks and no change.

Starting to look like motherboard, or processor???
Any ideas thanks ;-)

Last edited:

macciofe

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2012
Took pc to shop they agree problem appears to be motherboard hardware problem. Waiting for RMA from Gigabyte. PC ran for about 5 weeks no issues.
Frustrated but you know what they say : $__t Happens.