[SOLVED] I can no longer use 2 video cards in my PC

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
Hi , I'd like to ask for your help .
A few months ago I found out that I can have 2 video cards in the same PC . And I am talking about 2 different cards , not 2 the same cards (like in SLI) . I had asked here , on Tom's hardware :
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3579412/cards-motherboard.html
I followed the the instructions and the 2 cards worked indeed .

So , back then in my PC I was using :
on Slot 1 : a GTX 580 , connected to the monitor via DVI-D
on Slot 2 : a GTX 1060 , connected to the monitor via D-SUB (plus a converter , but this is not the point) .
My monitor was an EIZO S1932 .
The reason I kept 2 cards , was in order to have one for the old WinXP (the GTX 580) and one for Win7 (GTX 1060) . I have separate hard disks for each of the OSs . (modern video cards like GTX 1060 are not supported with drivers for WinXP)

A few months later , I moved onto another monitor , and then the situation was this :
on Slot 1 : a GTX 580 , connected to the monitor via mini HDMI
on Slot 2 : a GTX 1060 , connected to the monitor via DisplayPort
My monitor became an ASUS PG248Q .

Practically , the only thing that changed (apart from the monitor) was the connecting cables towards the video cards .
Everything kept working fine , except that the new monitor can no longer automatically select my preferred cable and I have to manually set the monitor to either GisplayPort or HDMI (in order to use either the GTX 1060 or the GTX 580) .

However , today a problem appeared . I replaced the GTX 580 with a GTX 770 (I did this in order to have both cards with DisplayPort rather than HDMI) .
So now I have :
on Slot 1 : a GTX 770 , connected to the monitor via mini HDMI (or DIsplayPort)
on Slot 2 : a GTX 1060 , connected to the monitor via DisplayPort
My monitor remains an ASUS PG248Q .

And here's the problem :
I can still use the card on Slot 1 for connecting to WinXP (that is the GTX 770 , either through DisplayPort or HDMI) ,
but I can no longer connect with the card on Slot 2 (the GTX 1060) to Win7 ! ...
When ever I do this , the screen remains black ... I can see the PC loading up , but I get no image on the monitor .
I tried something else : I tried to connect to Win7 by using the card on Slot 1 (the GTX 770) , but although I did got into Win7 , the video card was not recognized . Win7 started automatically installing drivers from the web , but after a few seconds it stops and it says that it failed . So , through the GTX 770 I get into Win7 but the image is not a good one (probably on 60 Hz instead of 144) .

So , do you have any ideas about what might go wrong ?

I can only add 2 observations :
a) I put back the GTX 580 into slot 1 , and everything came back to normal as before (that is I can get into WInXP with GTX 580 and into Win7 through GTX 1060) .
b) I also tried installing a GTX 960 (in slot 1 , instead of the GTX 580 or GTX 770) , but I got exactly the same problem .

So it seems that except the combination of 580 and 1060 I can't use anything else ...

I am afraid that the problem is that after I put in the GTX 770 (in the place of the GRX 580 in slot 1) , now my PC on Win7 things that the video card I want to use is the one from slot 1 (that is the GTX 770) and that's why I can't see anything through the card from slot 2 (GTX 1060) . However I can't change to GTX 1060 , because if I use the GTX 770 the system denies me to use the GTX 1060 (in device manager the GTX 1060 is shown with a yellow exclamation mark) , while when connecting the monitor to the GTX 1060 I simply get black screen .
I have also thought to manually download the latest drivers for the GTX 770 (also contains the driver for 1060) and try to see if I can specify which of the two cards I want to use . However I am afraid to do that , because I might break up the combination of GTX 580 and GTX 1060 (because as I said , if I put back the GTX 580 , everything works fine again) .

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
Thanks . It looks interesting ! Let me ask you a few questions about DDU :

(1) It says something about using Safe mode or Normal mode . Where can I set that from ?
(2) Should I use the 1st button ("Clean and Restart - Highly Recommended") or the 3rd button ("Clean and shut down - for installing a new graphic card") ?
(3) The button on the bottom right corner ("Set Windows Automatic Driver installation to default") what does it do ?

1) use safe mode if u have issues with uninstalling drivers in normal mode, to safe mode u can go when u starting your pc, before OS loads keep pressing F8 key, boot menu will appear where u can select it

2) clean and restart is when u have cards inside, clean and shutdown when u want to add card inside

3) that does what it says :)

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
So , if I get it right , I should this :
- First download the 391.35 drivers for Win7 64-bits (because it contains drivers for both GTX 1060 and GTX 770 for Win7 ,, in order to not have worry about different driver packages for those two cards . You see , I think this is important , because I must make sure that GTX 770 will also be recognized in Win7 , in order to make it stop spinning her fans fast , otherwise it will make too much noise if it will stay undetected .) .
- Then take care to disconnect my PC from the internet as DDU says to do so (I suppose in order to prevent Windows download whatever driver it wants) .
- Copy the DDU into a temporary folder on a local hard disk (that is not a network drive) . It's also one of the instructions of DDU .
- Then I use the DDU and uninstall the existing driver .
- I guess I'll press the shut down button , instead of Restart , in order to have time to remove the cable from the GTX 770 (the card on slot 1 which I don't want to use in Win7) and insert it into to GTX 1060 (that is the card on Slot 2) .
- I suppose I'll have to stop the automatic Windows updater if it pops up .
- Install the drivers which I manually downloaded at the beginning (at the first step) .

Am I right ?