[SOLVED] I can not figure out the cause of this problem. Please help.

Jul 7, 2020
I recently built a new pc (parts below) and after about 3 weeks of use I’ve noticed that a weird micro stuttering started happening. No frames drops and it happened every few seconds. I decided to return my rx 5700xt after going through many troubleshooting steps and bought an rtx 2060 super. After a few days after installing I started to notice little jerks and stutters on my desktop and in games. It seemed like a more minor version of the previous problem but also different. It seemed like I had frame drops when I don’t think I actually did. Could someone help me diagnose this issue?

I’ve updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, updated bios, temps are fine, turned xmp on and off, lowered ram speed, changed ssd cord, and a few more things.

Build:

-Ryzen 5 3600x

-MSU tomahawk b450 max

-G skill ripjaws ddr4-3600

-Corsair cx series 550 watt 80 plus bronze

-Old 256gb ssd from previous build

-Old 1tb HDD from previous build

-EVGA rtx 2060 super sc black

-NZXT h510 atx mid tower case

Solution
Do you have access to another, bit more powerful PSU that you can test with? It wouldn't have to be physically swapped with your existing one, just wired up in place of the existing one; sort of off to the side.

With the marginal Corsair CX 550 in service right now, there will always be the possibility that it is the issue. If not its lack of capacity, perhaps its age or failing component. It would be nice to at least eliminate that possibility so we aren't spinning our wheels.

If the Ryzen had an iGPU, we could test that way by eliminating the gfx card entirely, but no such luck with that type CPU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Even happening when you are only at the desktop would seem not to be a "load" issue. I wonder if the issue is in any way related to your monitor failing?

Another possibility can be the PSU. 550W is a bit light for the 2060S. Marginal for the 5700XT. May not be able to maintain the voltage at times of peak load. But the issue occurring while idle (?) at the desktop would not be much of a load.

Jul 7, 2020
Even happening when you are only at the desktop would seem not to be a "load" issue. I wonder if the issue is in any way related to your monitor failing?

Another possibility can be the PSU. 550W is a bit light for the 2060S. Marginal for the 5700XT. May not be able to maintain the voltage at times of peak load. But the issue occurring while idle (?) at the desktop would not be much of a load.

Thank you so much for responding and actually listening to my issue. I really do appreciate it!

yeah the problem does occur while on desktop and seems to occur in most games I

I do only have a 60hz 5ms aoc monitor that I bought a few years ago but the monitor worked fine with my laptop hooked up so maybe the monitor can’t keep up with my new build or something.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have access to another, bit more powerful PSU that you can test with? It wouldn't have to be physically swapped with your existing one, just wired up in place of the existing one; sort of off to the side.

With the marginal Corsair CX 550 in service right now, there will always be the possibility that it is the issue. If not its lack of capacity, perhaps its age or failing component. It would be nice to at least eliminate that possibility so we aren't spinning our wheels.

If the Ryzen had an iGPU, we could test that way by eliminating the gfx card entirely, but no such luck with that type CPU.

Solution