Question I can only connect to my SMB shares if WIFI is connected on my PC Tower.

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
Hi All...OK, So when I'm home and want to connect to my shared folders etc that are on my network, I can only connect to them successfully if the tower is connected to WiFi, even though it's already on Ethernet and can be seen on the network from any phone, laptop, tablet etc. IF I disconnect the WiFi and leave the tower only on Ethernet and try to connect to the shared folders it fails. I think it says something failed to obtain access or something like that even though I can still see it on the network. So what I do as a work around is login to it via team viewer and turn on WiFi and connect up so it's on WiFi and Ethernet and then I can connect perfectly fine with my @outlook.com email and password. (It's a Microsoft account instead of local like you can setup when installing windows 10. I THINK it's because there's a conflicting IP address issue perhaps or mac address need to be cloned or un-cloned etc. Any thoughts? I also created a second account on the machine with admin rights and can also connect in to that if WiFi is off as long as the PC has the Ethernet connection still. VERY weird....HELP!! lol

Both Ethernet and WiFi adapters are set to private, with automatic IP obtaining from provider etc. , no firewalls turned on on either modem or router or adapter etc. Network settings are identical between the Ethernet and WiFi adapters. I've re-installed windows, did a Windows reset on the network, all drivers are updated etc. I REAAAAALY think this is a IP issue or a MAC something or other issue.

Thank you

Faslane

Last edited:

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
Thank you and I should have added, they are both set to private, no firewalls turned on on either modem or router or adapter etc. Network settings are identical between the ethernet and wifi adapters. I've re-installed windows, did a Windows reset on the network, all drivers are updated etc. I REAAAAALY think this is a IP issue or a MAC something or other issue.

not using old smb 1.0 for the shares? win10 disables it by default and older servers ie 2008 etc win 7 etc and older games etc that use this protocol dont work. jump into control panel, programs, add features, tick smb 1.0, save etc reboot pc

should be noted its disabled for a reason. 20+ years old and very insecure.

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
not using old smb 1.0 for the shares? win10 disables it by default and older servers ie 2008 etc win 7 etc and older games etc that use this protocol dont work. jump into control panel, programs, add features, tick smb 1.0, save etc reboot pc

should be noted its disabled for a reason. 20+ years old and very insecure.

Thank You, I've already done that and it works, but if wifi is off on my PC and only connected to ethernet I can't see them. The minute I turn on Wifi I can see my shares fine. I have a cable modem with the wifi ssid turned off because it's far away and a hardwired AC router connected to it and centrally located. I THINK it's an IP address conflict maybe i'm not sure...maybe I need to turn on or off "clone MAC" address ? Shuld both IP on router and modem be the same? My modem is 10.0.0.1 and my router is the 192.168.0.x . ?

TRENDING THREADS