Question i can only use 1 stick

mctuliojorio20111

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
i have this Pc build
i3-7100
msi z170 BR/Plus
i was normally using my two ram sticks, but my Pc suddenly stopped. i decided to clean it up with a proper spray for computer
after that, the Pc wasnt posting, then i checked everything and fouded that the dimm a1 and 2 was faulty, so I placed my two sticks on DIMM B1 and 2
The mobo's post screen, where you get the "press f1 to enter bios" was showing 16Gb 2133Mhz total ram, the bios setup screen as well, but when booted up, the Win10 was showing only 1 stick of 8 Gb
Cpuz showed 2 sticks too with spd
what can i do?
is that a cpu problem?
I cleaned the mobo with isopropilic alcohol, and the cpu and ram sticks too
help pls

edit1: this night, the pc just turned off, almost like a power loss. it keeps doing it, works for a couple ours, then just die. if i want it to turn on again, i have to wait some days or change the ram slot to see what slot will work. i think my cpu are just diyng

Last edited:

mctuliojorio20111

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
it was a "limpa contato", this is How we call here in Brazil
Contact Cleaner, trasnlated
i used all over the mobo, It has this little straw, so you can reach the difficult places, like the ram slots

mctuliojorio20111

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
Did you make sure you let the solution dry completely before putting everything back together?
yes, i even used a hair dryer, with no heat, only the fans spinning, to dry faster, i checked everything, and now the Pc turned off last night and It is not working at all, It turns on, but dont post, no even to "Asus press F2 or DEL to enter uefi"

mctuliojorio20111

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
Yeah that should have been enough time.

Okay, let's break it all down to the basics--just cpu, one ram module and power supply--see if you get anything.
yes, it turns on and get to the American megatrends screen as I said, with both ram stkcs, it does recognize that they are plugged into dimm b1 and 2, but the os don't, the os says that I have only 1 slot at 2400mhz
and now, it turns on but don't post anything, no even the F1 error screen
I think I just have a bad CPU, don't you think? it's time to an upgrade

yes, it turns on and get to the American megatrends screen as I said, with both ram stkcs, it does recognize that they are plugged into dimm b1 and 2, but the os don't, the os says that I have only 1 slot at 2400mhz
and now, it turns on but don't post anything, no even the F1 error screen
I think I just have a bad CPU, don't you think? it's time to an upgrade
The now is more important than what it once did. If I had to do an off the cuff diagnosis, it would be motherboard, not cpu. But at this point it could be anything, so time to tear it all apart and put it back together again one piece at a time.

mctuliojorio20111

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
just
The now is more important than what it once did. If I had to do an off the cuff diagnosis, it would be motherboard, not cpu. But at this point it could be anything, so time to tear it all apart and put it back together again one piece at a time.
just did it, the situation now is that it turns on, but don't boot, at any slot, the lan port at the back don't turns the link light on, only the power, and I don't have a speaker lol
kinda getting nervous about it
and the CPU don't heat up

just
just did it, the situation now is that it turns on, but don't boot, at any slot, the lan port at the back don't turns the link light on, only the power, and I don't have a speaker lol
kinda getting nervous about it
and the CPU don't heat up
Why do you have the lan port and stuff like that plugged in? Bare basics and triple check each thing when connecting it--power, cpu, motherboard, keyboard, monitor. Everything else removed/disconnected.

mctuliojorio20111

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
Why do you have the lan port and stuff like that plugged in? Bare basics and triple check each thing when connecting it--power, cpu, motherboard, keyboard, monitor. Everything else removed/disconnected.
the lan port have this "indicator" that when the pc boots, like, when it really comes to post, the lan lights turn on, both
when it won't post, then only the left one stay blinking, on this board it's a yellow light
but now it's completely dead
I'm aiming on a new setup Ryzen 5 2600+Rx 580 8gb, so I can stream my league streams fine