I can ping my wireless router but that's it

I have a Sony Vaio R505 laptop with docking station, running XP Home, and a
D-Link 54G Wireless Router. I've followed all the instructions that came
with the router and spent 30 minutes with D-Link tech support, who told me I
must have some type of firewall that won't let me access the router (but I
can ping it). I don't have much software on my machine, and anything I can
think of that might interfere (Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus, Yahoo
Messenger) have all been disabled or turned off. What more can I do? Help!!
And thank you!!

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

What do you mean by "Can't Access"? Can you not get to the setup page? How
about expanding on what you can or can't do. For instance, can you ping the
internet, is it your internal net you are having problems with, or do you
have DNS servers set up?

Clark

"JDW in PDX" <JDW in PDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Sony Vaio R505 laptop with docking station, running XP Home, and a
> D-Link 54G Wireless Router. I've followed all the instructions that came
> with the router and spent 30 minutes with D-Link tech support, who told me
> must have some type of firewall that won't let me access the router (but I
> can ping it). I don't have much software on my machine, and anything I
> can
> think of that might interfere (Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus, Yahoo
> Messenger) have all been disabled or turned off. What more can I do?
> Help!!
> And thank you!!

Correct, I can't get to the setup page for the router. When I open Internet
Explorer and type in the IP address for the router (192.168.0.1), I just get
a "Cannot open the page" message from IE. When I talked with D-Link tech
support, he had me ping the router's address and it was successful. He also
had me use "ipconfig" in a command prompt to verify my IP address
(192.168.0.100). All of the lights on the router and cable modem are acting
as they should (activity lights flashing, etc.), but I just can't get the
setup page. As for DNS servers, unless it's something that would come with
XP then I don't have any. This is the first time I've ever done anything
with my computer more ambitious than Quicken, Photoshop, etc.

Thanks. I'm brand new to this, so I apologize for any miscommunication or
misunderstanding on my part.

"Clark" wrote:

> What do you mean by "Can't Access"? Can you not get to the setup page? How
> about expanding on what you can or can't do. For instance, can you ping the
> internet, is it your internal net you are having problems with, or do you
> have DNS servers set up?
>
> Clark
>
> "JDW in PDX" <JDW in PDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Sony Vaio R505 laptop with docking station, running XP Home, and a
> > D-Link 54G Wireless Router. I've followed all the instructions that came
> > with the router and spent 30 minutes with D-Link tech support, who told me
> > must have some type of firewall that won't let me access the router (but I
> > can ping it). I don't have much software on my machine, and anything I
> > can
> > think of that might interfere (Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus, Yahoo
> > Messenger) have all been disabled or turned off. What more can I do?
> > Help!!
> > And thank you!!

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Have you tried hard wiring the computer until you get the router set up or
your computer set up?

You are just typing the address and nothing else--right? Do you have your
laptop set up to do DHCP? You didn't try to do a firmware update, did you?

Are you sure the Address is 192.168.0.1 and not something else? The default
for one of theirs (DWL-2100) is 192.168.0.50. I used that one because you
did not give a model number. If you hold the reset button for 10-15
seconds, the router will revert to factory defaults, so any previous setup
you have done will be lost, including the password.

If you can't get it to work, you might need to hardwire to be able to reach
the router. If you have differences between the laptop and router, you will
not be able to reach it wirelessly.

If you still can't get in, and since you know how to do the ipconfig
command, do an ipconfig /all which should show more things, like your
default gateway, which should be the routers address.

Do you know if you have any security settings on your laptop, like WEP?

> Correct, I can't get to the setup page for the router. When I open
> Internet
> Explorer and type in the IP address for the router (192.168.0.1), I just
> get
> a "Cannot open the page" message from IE. When I talked with D-Link tech
> support, he had me ping the router's address and it was successful. He
> also
> had me use "ipconfig" in a command prompt to verify my IP address
> (192.168.0.100). All of the lights on the router and cable modem are
> acting
> as they should (activity lights flashing, etc.), but I just can't get the
> setup page. As for DNS servers, unless it's something that would come
> with
> XP then I don't have any. This is the first time I've ever done anything
> with my computer more ambitious than Quicken, Photoshop, etc.
>
> Thanks. I'm brand new to this, so I apologize for any miscommunication or
> misunderstanding on my part.
>

> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> What do you mean by "Can't Access"? Can you not get to the setup page?
>> How
>> about expanding on what you can or can't do. For instance, can you ping
>> the
>> internet, is it your internal net you are having problems with, or do you
>> have DNS servers set up?
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "JDW in PDX" <JDW in PDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Sony Vaio R505 laptop with docking station, running XP Home,
>> >and a
>> > D-Link 54G Wireless Router. I've followed all the instructions that
>> > came
>> > with the router and spent 30 minutes with D-Link tech support, who told
>> > me
>> > must have some type of firewall that won't let me access the router
>> > (but I
>> > can ping it). I don't have much software on my machine, and anything I
>> > can
>> > think of that might interfere (Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus,
>> > Yahoo
>> > Messenger) have all been disabled or turned off. What more can I do?
>> > Help!!
>> > And thank you!!

I forgot to mention that I am indeed hardwiring the laptop to the router.
I'm mostly setting up the network for use with just my Pocket PC (iPaq 2200).
My laptop is my "desktop," meaning it stays put all the time.

Yes, I'm just typing the IP address. As for DHCP, firmware updates, or WEP,
my answer is the same w/r/t DNS: if they're things I would've had to do
myself, then I don't have them. Please let me know how I can find out if I
have any of those if you think I might.

The model number for the D-Link router is DI-524 (rev. C), and the IP
address is 192.168.0.1.

Thank you so much for your help, Clark.

-Justin

"Clark" wrote:

> Have you tried hard wiring the computer until you get the router set up or
> your computer set up?
>
> You are just typing the address and nothing else--right? Do you have your
> laptop set up to do DHCP? You didn't try to do a firmware update, did you?
>
> Are you sure the Address is 192.168.0.1 and not something else? The default
> for one of theirs (DWL-2100) is 192.168.0.50. I used that one because you
> did not give a model number. If you hold the reset button for 10-15
> seconds, the router will revert to factory defaults, so any previous setup
> you have done will be lost, including the password.
>
> If you can't get it to work, you might need to hardwire to be able to reach
> the router. If you have differences between the laptop and router, you will
> not be able to reach it wirelessly.
>
> If you still can't get in, and since you know how to do the ipconfig
> command, do an ipconfig /all which should show more things, like your
> default gateway, which should be the routers address.
>
> Do you know if you have any security settings on your laptop, like WEP?
>
> Clark
>
> "JDW in PDX" <JDWinPDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Correct, I can't get to the setup page for the router. When I open
> > Internet
> > Explorer and type in the IP address for the router (192.168.0.1), I just
> > get
> > a "Cannot open the page" message from IE. When I talked with D-Link tech
> > support, he had me ping the router's address and it was successful. He
> > also
> > had me use "ipconfig" in a command prompt to verify my IP address
> > (192.168.0.100). All of the lights on the router and cable modem are
> > acting
> > as they should (activity lights flashing, etc.), but I just can't get the
> > setup page. As for DNS servers, unless it's something that would come
> > with
> > XP then I don't have any. This is the first time I've ever done anything
> > with my computer more ambitious than Quicken, Photoshop, etc.
> >
> > Thanks. I'm brand new to this, so I apologize for any miscommunication or
> > misunderstanding on my part.
> >

> > "Clark" wrote:
> >
> >> What do you mean by "Can't Access"? Can you not get to the setup page?
> >> How
> >> about expanding on what you can or can't do. For instance, can you ping
> >> the
> >> internet, is it your internal net you are having problems with, or do you
> >> have DNS servers set up?
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>
> >> "JDW in PDX" <JDW in PDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Did you check this page. It talks about Java as well as Parental controls
and other such stuff. This is a general answer, so it may not apply to you.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=979&question=General%20Router%20/%20DI-784%20/%20DI-514%20/%20DI-524%20/%20DI-514_revC%20/%20DWL-900AP%20_revB%20/%20DWL-900AP%20_revC%20/%20DI-624_revC%20/%20DI-624_revB%20/%20DWL-G800AP%20/%20DWL-G810

Otherwise, do you have a copy of the users manual, and if not download one.
Now, go to page 64 and start going through the procedure. Let us know where
you run into problems or something doesn't look right. I have a copy so I
can follow along. What you are doing is very basic and normally doesn't
cause problems. You may just have a bad box.

> [...]
>> > get
>> > a "Cannot open the page" message from IE. When I talked with D-Link
>> > tech
>> > support, he had me ping the router's address and it was successful. He
>> > also
>> > had me use "ipconfig" in a command prompt to verify my IP address
>> > (192.168.0.100). All of the lights on the router and cable modem are
>> > acting
>> > as they should (activity lights flashing, etc.), but I just can't get
>> > the
>> > setup page. As for DNS servers, unless it's something that would come
>> > with
>> > XP then I don't have any. This is the first time I've ever done
>> > anything
>> > with my computer more ambitious than Quicken, Photoshop, etc.
>> >
>> > Thanks. I'm brand new to this, so I apologize for any miscommunication

Ok, I just went through both the page you sent and the user's manual (again).
I did everything except set up a static IP address - do you think I need to
do that? Here's what I did (starting at p. 64 of the manual):

Verified physical connectivity
Disabled Windows Firewall and NAV (the only things I could think of that
might block access)
Configured my internet settings
Checked my IP address (192.168.0.100)

After all that, I still get a "Cannot open page" error in IE when I type in
the router's IP address! Maybe I do just have a bad box. If you think that
could be the case, I'll exchange it for another one over the weekend.

Thank you,
Justin

"Clark" wrote:

> [...]
> >> for one of theirs (DWL-2100) is 192.168.0.50. I used that one because
> >> you
> >> did not give a model number. If you hold the reset button for 10-15
> >> seconds, the router will revert to factory defaults, so any previous
> >> setup
> >> you have done will be lost, including the password.
> >>
> >> If you can't get it to work, you might need to hardwire to be able to
> >> reach
> >> the router. If you have differences between the laptop and router, you
> >> will
> >> not be able to reach it wirelessly.
> >>
> >> If you still can't get in, and since you know how to do the ipconfig
> >> command, do an ipconfig /all which should show more things, like your
> >> default gateway, which should be the routers address.
> >>
> >> Do you know if you have any security settings on your laptop, like WEP?

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

If the box is new, I would exchange it. It should not be this hard to get
to a setup page. I am actually a little amazed that D-Link did not
recommend this. You never did verify to me you reset the box, but I assume
you have done that. If you haven't tried the box in another setup you might
also do that just to check. Have a buddy bring over his wireless laptop and
see if he can access. I guess the Java situation doesn't apply to you and
you do have java enabled.

I don't know if I can access the box, but I could try. It's too bad you
can't access the internet so you could get your IP address. If you could,
going to grc.com and running shields up would show what it is. Go to this
page, click on Shields Up and your IP address should be in blue just below
the red type.
http://www.grc.com/default.htm My reply to address might work if you alter
it.

You seem to have done everything you can and even a firewall would not block
your trying to access the box. I really can't think of anything else to
suggest. If you want to repost your problem, I will stay out next time.

Sorry,

> Ok, I just went through both the page you sent and the user's manual
> (again).
> I did everything except set up a static IP address - do you think I need
> do that? Here's what I did (starting at p. 64 of the manual):
>
> Verified physical connectivity
> Disabled Windows Firewall and NAV (the only things I could think of that
> might block access)
> Configured my internet settings
> Checked my IP address (192.168.0.100)
>
> After all that, I still get a "Cannot open page" error in IE when I type
> in
> the router's IP address! Maybe I do just have a bad box. If you think
> that
> could be the case, I'll exchange it for another one over the weekend.
>
> Thank you,
> Justin
>

> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> Did you check this page. It talks about Java as well as Parental
>> controls
>> and other such stuff. This is a general answer, so it may not apply to
>> you.
>>
>> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=979&question=General%20Router%20/%20DI-784%20/%20DI-514%20/%20DI-524%20/%20DI-514_revC%20/%20DWL-900AP%20_revB%20/%20DWL-900AP%20_revC%20/%20DI-624_revC%20/%20DI-624_revB%20/%20DWL-G800AP%20/%20DWL-G810
>>
>> Otherwise, do you have a copy of the users manual, and if not download
>> one.
>> Now, go to page 64 and start going through the procedure. Let us know
>> where
>> you run into problems or something doesn't look right. I have a copy so
>> can follow along. What you are doing is very basic and normally doesn't
>> cause problems. You may just have a bad box.
>>
>> Clark
>>

>> "JDW in PDX" <JDWinPDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I forgot to mention that I am indeed hardwiring the laptop to the
>> >router.
>> > I'm mostly setting up the network for use with just my Pocket PC (iPaq
>> > 2200).
>> > My laptop is my "desktop," meaning it stays put all the time.
>> >
>> > Yes, I'm just typing the IP address. As for DHCP, firmware updates, or
>> > WEP,
>> > my answer is the same w/r/t DNS: if they're things I would've had to do
>> > myself, then I don't have them. Please let me know how I can find out
>> > if
>> > have any of those if you think I might.
>> >
>> > The model number for the D-Link router is DI-524 (rev. C), and the IP
>> > address is 192.168.0.1.
>> >
>> > Thank you so much for your help, Clark.
>> >
>> > -Justin

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I was going to see if I could access my router from outside, but all I got
was a "page cannot be displayed" message. That is because you have to
access it from the internal network with the correct address, I assume. I
don't know what would happen if you had the Ethernet cable in the WAN port
instead of the Ethernet port, but you might check it.

If you have reset the box, and checked your java enabled, and tried the box
somewhere else or let someone else check the box, I don't know what more you
can do. I would suggest returning it for a new one.

If you want to repost the problem, I will stay out to see if someone else
jumps in.

Sorry,
Clark

"JDW in PDX" <JDWinPDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I just went through both the page you sent and the user's manual
> (again).
> I did everything except set up a static IP address - do you think I need
> do that? Here's what I did (starting at p. 64 of the manual):
>
> Verified physical connectivity
> Disabled Windows Firewall and NAV (the only things I could think of that
> might block access)
> Configured my internet settings
> Checked my IP address (192.168.0.100)
>
> After all that, I still get a "Cannot open page" error in IE when I type
> in
> the router's IP address! Maybe I do just have a bad box. If you think
> that
> could be the case, I'll exchange it for another one over the weekend.
>
> Thank you,
> Justin
>

> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> Did you check this page. It talks about Java as well as Parental
>> controls
>> and other such stuff. This is a general answer, so it may not apply to
>> you.
>>
>> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=979&question=General%20Router%20/%20DI-784%20/%20DI-514%20/%20DI-524%20/%20DI-514_revC%20/%20DWL-900AP%20_revB%20/%20DWL-900AP%20_revC%20/%20DI-624_revC%20/%20DI-624_revB%20/%20DWL-G800AP%20/%20DWL-G810
>>
>> Otherwise, do you have a copy of the users manual, and if not download
>> one.
>> Now, go to page 64 and start going through the procedure. Let us know
>> where
>> you run into problems or something doesn't look right. I have a copy so
>> can follow along. What you are doing is very basic and normally doesn't
>> cause problems. You may just have a bad box.
>>
>> Clark
>>

>> "JDW in PDX" <JDWinPDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I forgot to mention that I am indeed hardwiring the laptop to the
>> >router.
>> > I'm mostly setting up the network for use with just my Pocket PC (iPaq
>> > 2200).
>> > My laptop is my "desktop," meaning it stays put all the time.
>> >
>> > Yes, I'm just typing the IP address. As for DHCP, firmware updates, or
>> > WEP,
>> > my answer is the same w/r/t DNS: if they're things I would've had to do
>> > myself, then I don't have them. Please let me know how I can find out
>> > if
>> > have any of those if you think I might.
>> >
>> > The model number for the D-Link router is DI-524 (rev. C), and the IP
>> > address is 192.168.0.1.
>> >
>> > Thank you so much for your help, Clark.
>> >
>> > -Justin

Yes, I did try resetting the box (once while on the phone with D-Link tech
support and a second time on my own last night), and I downloaded the java
update. I'm going to exchange the box for a new one this weekend, because as
you said it just shouldn't be this hard. I'll let you know what happens!
Thank you again for your help.

-Justin

"Clark" wrote:

> I was going to see if I could access my router from outside, but all I got
> was a "page cannot be displayed" message. That is because you have to
> access it from the internal network with the correct address, I assume. I
> don't know what would happen if you had the Ethernet cable in the WAN port
> instead of the Ethernet port, but you might check it.
>
> If you have reset the box, and checked your java enabled, and tried the box
> somewhere else or let someone else check the box, I don't know what more you
> can do. I would suggest returning it for a new one.
>
> If you want to repost the problem, I will stay out to see if someone else
> jumps in.
>
> Sorry,
> Clark
>
> "JDW in PDX" <JDWinPDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, I just went through both the page you sent and the user's manual
> > (again).
> > I did everything except set up a static IP address - do you think I need
> > do that? Here's what I did (starting at p. 64 of the manual):
> >
> > Verified physical connectivity
> > Disabled Windows Firewall and NAV (the only things I could think of that
> > might block access)
> > Configured my internet settings
> > Checked my IP address (192.168.0.100)
> >
> > After all that, I still get a "Cannot open page" error in IE when I type
> > in
> > the router's IP address! Maybe I do just have a bad box. If you think
> > that
> > could be the case, I'll exchange it for another one over the weekend.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Justin
> >

> > "Clark" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you check this page. It talks about Java as well as Parental
> >> controls
> >> and other such stuff. This is a general answer, so it may not apply to
> >> you.
> >>
> >> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=979&question=General%20Router%20/%20DI-784%20/%20DI-514%20/%20DI-524%20/%20DI-514_revC%20/%20DWL-900AP%20_revB%20/%20DWL-900AP%20_revC%20/%20DI-624_revC%20/%20DI-624_revB%20/%20DWL-G800AP%20/%20DWL-G810
> >>
> >> Otherwise, do you have a copy of the users manual, and if not download
> >> one.
> >> Now, go to page 64 and start going through the procedure. Let us know
> >> where
> >> you run into problems or something doesn't look right. I have a copy so
> >> can follow along. What you are doing is very basic and normally doesn't
> >> cause problems. You may just have a bad box.
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>

> >> "JDW in PDX" <JDWinPDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I exchanged the box for a new one yesterday and had the exact same issue,
even after spending 2 hours doing everything I tried with the first one. I'm
going to just give up. I don't know if the problem is with D-Link's router,
my VAIO, or XP, but I just can't spend this much time on it because I can
live without it. Thank you again for your help - I really appreciate it and
feel that I truly tried everything I could.

-Justin

"JDW in PDX" wrote:

> Yes, I did try resetting the box (once while on the phone with D-Link tech
> support and a second time on my own last night), and I downloaded the java
> update. I'm going to exchange the box for a new one this weekend, because as
> you said it just shouldn't be this hard. I'll let you know what happens!
> Thank you again for your help.
>
> -Justin
>

> "Clark" wrote:
>
> > I was going to see if I could access my router from outside, but all I got
> > was a "page cannot be displayed" message. That is because you have to
> > access it from the internal network with the correct address, I assume. I
> > don't know what would happen if you had the Ethernet cable in the WAN port
> > instead of the Ethernet port, but you might check it.
> >
> > If you have reset the box, and checked your java enabled, and tried the box
> > somewhere else or let someone else check the box, I don't know what more you
> > can do. I would suggest returning it for a new one.
> >
> > If you want to repost the problem, I will stay out to see if someone else
> > jumps in.
> >
> > Sorry,
> > Clark
> >
> > "JDW in PDX" <JDWinPDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Ok, I just went through both the page you sent and the user's manual
> > > (again).
> > > I did everything except set up a static IP address - do you think I need
> > > do that? Here's what I did (starting at p. 64 of the manual):
> > >
> > > Verified physical connectivity
> > > Disabled Windows Firewall and NAV (the only things I could think of that
> > > might block access)
> > > Configured my internet settings
> > > Checked my IP address (192.168.0.100)
> > >
> > > After all that, I still get a "Cannot open page" error in IE when I type
> > > in
> > > the router's IP address! Maybe I do just have a bad box. If you think
> > > that
> > > could be the case, I'll exchange it for another one over the weekend.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Justin

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Why don't you repost and include the router model in the subject. That way
maybe someone who has the router might know.

I'll keep looking, but I can't think of anything else. Have you let someone
else try it? You don't need to be connect to the internet to reach the
setup page.

The only other things I could think of were, you did check to see if you had
tcp/ip installed, which must be true if you can ping it. What response
times were you getting with the pings?

Secondly, if your computer does both hardwire and wireless, perhaps
disabling the wireless adapter might help. If that doesn't work, maybe
something is wrong with your built in Ethernet card so you might try using
just the wireless. Make sure you put the SSID of the router in the
appropriate spot.

>I exchanged the box for a new one yesterday and had the exact same issue,
> even after spending 2 hours doing everything I tried with the first one.
> I'm
> going to just give up. I don't know if the problem is with D-Link's
> router,
> my VAIO, or XP, but I just can't spend this much time on it because I can
> live without it. Thank you again for your help - I really appreciate it
> and
> feel that I truly tried everything I could.
>
> -Justin
>

> "JDW in PDX" wrote:
>
>> Yes, I did try resetting the box (once while on the phone with D-Link
>> tech
>> support and a second time on my own last night), and I downloaded the
>> java
>> update. I'm going to exchange the box for a new one this weekend,
>> because as
>> you said it just shouldn't be this hard. I'll let you know what happens!
>> Thank you again for your help.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

>> "Clark" wrote:
>>
>> > I was going to see if I could access my router from outside, but all I
>> > got
>> > was a "page cannot be displayed" message. That is because you have to
>> > access it from the internal network with the correct address, I assume.
>> > don't know what would happen if you had the Ethernet cable in the WAN
>> > port
>> > instead of the Ethernet port, but you might check it.
>> >
>> > If you have reset the box, and checked your java enabled, and tried the
>> > box
>> > somewhere else or let someone else check the box, I don't know what
>> > more you
>> > can do. I would suggest returning it for a new one.
>> >
>> > If you want to repost the problem, I will stay out to see if someone
>> > else
>> > jumps in.
>> >
>> > Sorry,
>> > Clark
>> >
>> > "JDW in PDX" <JDWinPDX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I have to ask one last question. When you say you can't get the setup page,
that means you don't even get to the logon page--right?

Clark

Yes, I couldn't even get to the logon page. I typed in the IP address for
the router ("http://192.168.0.1") using Internet Explorer, and all I got was
the "HTTP 500 Internal server error" ("The page cannot be displayed") page.
I'm going to shop around a little more and try a different router (probably
by another company). My brother has a similar laptop and had no problem
setting up his Linksys router, so maybe VAIOs and D-Link routers just aren't
compatible. We'll sell... Thanks again.