I can see my external hard drive in device manager when plugged in to USB 2.0 port, but not in my comp and disk management

FomaKiniaev

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
I have a Seagate Expansion 3TB external HD which is driving me mad! It doesn't show on My Computer or Disk Management. However it does show on the Device Manager if I plug it into a USB 2.0 port but not a USB 3.0 port!

Tried on a Mac as well but it didn't show on Finder, Desktop or Disk Utility.
When plugged in to a USB 2.0 port it just makes the same sound over and over stops and it's the same sound again.

Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there, FomaKiniaev.
When you say that you hear the same sound over and over, do you mean the notification sound like it's connecting again and again, or do you mean that you hear some kind of unusual sound/noise coming from the drive? You did good by trying the drive with another computer, but I'd also recommend that you try it with a different USB cable as well (not longer than 12"), to see if the same thing happens.
Do you need any data recovered from it? If "yes", I'd recommend that you try accessing the drive via Linux Live CD/USB to see if it's recognized properly and if you can get to your data, or try some of the data recovery options from this thread: www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html.
On the other hand if you don't need any data recovered, I'd suggest that you download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test the drive with it, in order to see if any errors or bad sectors pop-up.

Hope that helps. Let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD