Question I cannot figure it out what's going on with my new build.

orate

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Hello everyone, been a while since I payed a visit but now I'm afraid I came because I'm desperetaly need of help, this is a nightmare I want to return everything and buy a MAC.

Some weeks ago I decided to upgrade my old build. I bought a I9 9900k, 32gb of Gskill DDR4-3200 ram a z390 gygabite aorus elite mb plus a 2080 VGA, when I had some free time I built everything got but inmediatly I got some BSOD's, updated BIOS and after a while everything calmed down, no more BSOD nice stability, nice performance. That lasted for like a week, during I was even able to do a 4 hours marathon of Fallout 4 with like 99 mods loaded at 1440p, it was the happy days.

Last sunday I was just cheking some stuff on a excel book and computer frozed, completely dead, after that I can get twenty BSOD in a row before getting to windows for 20 secs and it gets frozen. I have no more information for you I was not doing anything fancy.

The things I did to try to fix or find what its the problem:

• Updated to latest BIOS.
  • Disabled XMP.
  • Swaped ram modules and installed them on every slot one by one.
  • Check phisically the motherboard, the cpu and the ram modules for any phisical defects.
  • Checked thermal paste and temps.
  • Bought another 1000W PSU gold (I had a corsair RM1000 before but it was 5 years old), same problems.
  • A friend brought me his DDR4 modules (same behavior), no change.
  • removed every posible wire from the motherboard, I mean usb, front panel connectors that kind of stuff.
  • removed every drive from the motherboard (blue screens from pendrive with windows 10 installation program), no drive connected.
  • I RMA'ed the Gigabyte motherboard for a ROG strix Z390h gaming motherbord (seemed like the most obvious option), I was completely happy that I found the problem, I cant even get to windows installation.
  • Removed the 2080 and used the computer thru onboard graphics.
  • did a new pendrive with windows 10 installation.
  • I increased the CPU voltage to 1.25v, no change there.

Right now I have no idea what to do, I can go into BIOS but anything after its blue screen. I'm out of my league here, this is ugly.

Can you guys give me some advice in what I may have missed?
Tyvm in advance I'm going to cry for a bit now, my frustration it's over the scale.

Last edited by a moderator:

orate

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
I've gotten all of these plus some ones with just numbers:

• CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
  • DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

You have already ruled out:
  • Motherboard
  • Memory
  • Software (Windows installation)
  • Temperatures
  • Graphics Card
  • Power Supply
The only components that seem to be the same are:

1. Edition of Windows 10
  2. Storage (Remove extra HDDs/SSDs, try a different HDD/SSD)
  3. RMA the i9-9900K for a different processor
So, try the above, in that order 1-3

orate

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
You have already ruled out:
  • Motherboard
  • Memory
  • Software (Windows installation)
  • Temperatures
  • Graphics Card
  • Power Supply
The only components that seem to be the same are:

1. Edition of Windows 10
  2. Storage (Remove extra HDDs/SSDs, try a different HDD/SSD)
  3. RMA the i9-9900K for a different processor
So, try the above, in that order 1-3

• I don't think theres another edition of windows 10, I cant even make it to the installer, in the installer you choose your version i think
  • I dont make it to the installer with nothing connected, no fans, no front usb, no audio, no sata nothing. Not even connecting the power button I just shortcircuit the two pins.
  • Just one BUT in step 3, when I went to return the motherboard, they tried in front of me the following
my motherboard with an i3 CPU: it worked
my cpu in another motherboard: it worked <-- so because of this they changed it, my cpu was supposed to be fine, I dont think it was a Z390 mother board seemed like a low tier one.

in both cases they compressed / uncompressed a 2GB file in 7zip (they said it uses all the cpu). I'm triying to convince myself i got a faulty cpu, I tend to think they never fail, could this be the case?

• I don't think theres another edition of windows 10, I cant even make it to the installer, in the installer you choose your version i think
  • I dont make it to the installer with nothing connected, no fans, no front usb, no audio, no sata nothing. Not even connecting the power button I just shortcircuit the two pins.
  • Just one BUT in step 3, when I went to return the motherboard, they tried in front of me the following
my motherboard with an i3 CPU: it worked
my cpu in another motherboard: it worked <-- so because of this they changed it, my cpu was supposed to be fine, I dont think it was a Z390 mother board seemed like a low tier one.

in both cases they compressed / uncompressed a 2GB file in 7zip (they said it uses all the cpu). I'm triying to convince myself i got a faulty cpu, I tend to think they never fail, could this be the case?
They DO fail, however if it was working fine in another build this may not be the case. What CPU cooler are you using?

I have built dozens of computers. I just want to throw that out there before I say, I don't know. You have done proper tests in all aspects of your build to centralize the issue.

The processor is my best guess, and I guess that is my answer for now. If you have an extra processor on hand you could try that or RMA the 9900K.

Edit: another idea popped in my head, have you tried a different outlet, or perhaps PSU cable? Have you tried a different SATA cable?

orate

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
I have built dozens of computers. I just want to throw that out there before I say, I don't know. You have done proper tests in all aspects of your build to centralize the issue.

The processor is my best guess, and I guess that is my answer for now. If you have an extra processor on hand you could try that or RMA the 9900K.

Edit: another idea popped in my head, have you tried a different outlet, or perhaps PSU cable? Have you tried a different SATA cable?

PSU it's a brand new EVGA 1000W gold certificated, on the old PSU i suspected of the cables, but no, I don't think so. right now I dont have any drive connected to the motherboard I'm just trying to get to the installation of windows but i get instant blue screen as soon as the system boots from the pendrive, its getting worser and worser I dont get to even see the blue screen completely it crashes before showing the text.

I don't think the outlet its the problem since its running another computer now.

Use a single RAM module according to the Motherboard instructions (Usually bank 1, module B) and boot with it into the BIOS. Inside the BIOS make sure you load the XMP profile for the RAM and disable Intel's boost stuff for the 9900K and underclock the CPU (multiplier to 40 and voltages in Auto). Then disable the onboard things like WiFi and extra sATA ports devices (if your board comes with them). Leave just sound, ethernet and USB active, but disable all "advanced" stuff for USB and enable all legacy mode operation. Also, just connect the NVMe drive on the secondary slot (usually the one that uses PCIe instead of sATA ports) which is the furthest away to the CPU. Confirm this with the Motherboard instructions. If you don't have an NVMe drive, then connect the SSD/HDD to the primary sATA port (again, check the Motherboard instructions booklet). Keep all power cables connected to the Motherboard regardless.

After that, try booting into the Windows install.

Cheers!

orate

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Use a single RAM module according to the Motherboard instructions (Usually bank 1, module B) and boot with it into the BIOS. Inside the BIOS make sure you load the XMP profile for the RAM and disable Intel's boost stuff for the 9900K and underclock the CPU (multiplier to 40 and voltages in Auto). Then disable the onboard things like WiFi and extra sATA ports devices (if your board comes with them). Leave just sound, ethernet and USB active, but disable all "advanced" stuff for USB and enable all legacy mode operation. Also, just connect the NVMe drive on the secondary slot (usually the one that uses PCIe instead of sATA ports) which is the furthest away to the CPU. Confirm this with the Motherboard instructions. If you don't have an NVMe drive, then connect the SSD/HDD to the primary sATA port (again, check the Motherboard instructions booklet). Keep all power cables connected to the Motherboard regardless.

After that, try booting into the Windows install.

Cheers!

Ill try that tonight. Thanks.

orate

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
I installed the new CPU and all the problems went away, problem solved it seems!

Now a last question, since I swaped motherboards (Gigabyte Aorus Elite for Asus Strix Z390-h) would you recommend reinsltalling windows? PC runs lightning fast anyway now...