I cannot install any graphic drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilikemypc

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I have made sure my windows is fully updated, fully uninstalled nvidia graphics, tried to install the past 3 versions of driver updates, but to each attempt about half way through the installation, It just installation failed. Now I'm stuck with no drivers and I've come here out of a last ditch effort. I'm really trying to avoid reinstalling windows if possible. Thanks

Solution

Try doing a hard boot, and rebooting. And then try updating the driver again.

If the same result, this time use an older driver for example 391.24 (or other more recent working graphics driver). That driver is from last spring, but it works (I'm using it right now).

Download and install directly from http://www.geforce.com/drivers . Use the custom install and clean install option. Don't use the Windows driver. And don't use Device Manager to update the driver.

If that doesn't work, try this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2284749/completely-uninstall-amd-nvidia-gpu-drivers.html

And then try the most recent graphics driver again or other older graphics drivers. The Nvidia graphics...

Ilikemypc

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

I7 6700k @4.3ghz
gtx 1080
Ballistic Sport 16GB
MSI z170 sli plus
Corsair 650w Gold+
This isnt a new card. Had it for roughly half a year now. Randomly noticed an update and got the failed message, so I attempted again and same thing.

Go to Windows device manager / display adapter .

Is your installed graphics card listed? Is the generic display adapter listed as well? If it isn't listed, then there is a graphics card recognition problem. If both the generic display adapter and your graphics card are listed, then there is still a graphics card recognition problem. This situation presents a problem because without the operating system detecting the graphics card, you can't update the the graphics driver.

First try to reseat the graphics card and connect any required PCIE power cables. Make sure that the power supply has the required Watts to operate the GPU.

If that doesn't correct the situation, then first troubleshoot the graphics card. Does the graphics card work? Try it in another working system. If it is a working graphics card, is the motherboard working assembly working? Does the system pass POST?
If the system seems to be otherwise working, then update the motherboard BIOS.

Ilikemypc

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

Before It used to show my graphics card listed, but after I deleted drivers it says the standard windows drivers. Im almost certain its not a hardware seating issue because my case never moves.

On the software side of things, there can be missing, corrupted, or incompatible drivers and system files. The drivers can be updated. The BIOS can be updated. The operating system can be reinstalled.

This scenario often does leads to system freezes, but it can also result in problems with updating a particular driver. Reinstalling the operating system and updating the device drivers and BIOS are the best solutions for this scenario.

start with bios update then reinstall the intel chipset driver and then reboot. on your gpu check it pci id make sure it a retail card with a retail bios. if the bios is for a dell or hp video card a lot of the amd and nvidia stock drivers will fail as they dont have the id for oem vendor cards.

It isn't so much an issue of moving the case. It is more about the compatibility of the operating system, device drivers, and motherboard BIOS. Just reseating the graphics card and confirming the PCIE power connections would correct most problems due to moving the case.

In my experience , updating the BIOS is most effective for this.

Ilikemypc

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

going to update bios right now, will update

Ilikemypc

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

Just finished updating BIOS. Should I attempt to install the drivers again?

Ilikemypc

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

Failed again.

Try doing a hard boot, and rebooting. And then try updating the driver again.

If the same result, this time use an older driver for example 391.24 (or other more recent working graphics driver). That driver is from last spring, but it works (I'm using it right now).

Download and install directly from http://www.geforce.com/drivers . Use the custom install and clean install option. Don't use the Windows driver. And don't use Device Manager to update the driver.

If that doesn't work, try this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2284749/completely-uninstall-amd-nvidia-gpu-drivers.html

And then try the most recent graphics driver again or other older graphics drivers. The Nvidia graphics driver over the last few months have had problems. I've used 391.24 since last spring because it works. Other drivers shortly thereafter didn't work.

Solution

Ilikemypc

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

Currently going through the guide. I am in the program files folder and this is happening(http://prntscr.com/kznydu). Could this be the source of the issue? I cannot delete these files at all

edit - Dear god following the guide worked. 4 hours later and im chilling. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.