Question I cannot multitask with my WiFi unless I use a VPN ?

Apr 17, 2023
Ok so my router works perfectly fine with ethernet I know that but depending on what wifi software im using I get different kinds of issues.

If I am playing a video game any does not matter or just using my wifi in different applications the video game used to run fine all the time but everything else in the background the twitch streams discord youtube whatever it all loses connection UNLESS I use a vpn.

This was my first issue that I just gave up on finding an answer for I just asumed it was an issue with my wifi but recently I started stuttering in fps games even with vpn on or off so I tried some cheap wifi usb thing that only got 2.4 ghz and that works fine in fps games BUT it got the same issues with multi tasking so that has to mean the stuttering is probably because of my wifi adapter that might be too old now but the multi tasking is either an issue with my pc settings which should not be the case because I have updated most of my pc hardware and reinstalled windows on ssd.
It should be something with my ISP that for some weird reason gets FIXED with a vpn.

My wifi adapter: ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac Network Adapter
The wifi usb I tested with: D-Link DWA-140 RangeBooster N USB Adapter(rev.B2)
VPN:Mullvad

Ralston18

Titan
Are you certain that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) in enabled on your computer?

Only one or the other: not both wired and wireless at the same time. Overall, only one network adapter of any sort is needed for most purposes. Not two.

Try disabling IPv6 - that may prove helpful.

Failing that then run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results without needing to retype it all.

Apr 17, 2023
Are you certain that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) in enabled on your computer?

Only one or the other: not both wired and wireless at the same time. Overall, only one network adapter of any sort is needed for most purposes. Not two.

Try disabling IPv6 - that may prove helpful.

Failing that then run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results without needing to retype it all.
I do have both the adapters plugged in at the same time but only recently and thats because I have to switch to the usb when I play fps games so its a temporary fix.

Disabling ipv6 did not work

Ipconfig:
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9779:f422:5d8e:374a%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.127(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : den 17 april 2023 20:23:51
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : den 17 april 2023 22:20:42
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 740067116
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DWA-140 RangeBooster N USB Adapter(rev.B2)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6c48:7ae4:1668:905c%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.160(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : den 17 april 2023 19:07:33
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : den 17 april 2023 22:00:53
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 538750967
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :

Ralston18

Titan
Disable one of the two enabled wireless network adapters.

Try that and allow 24 hours or so for the overall network to "catch up".

Also: who has full admin rights to the network router at 192.168.1.1?

Not sure about what is happening but the DHCP IP address lease times are different:

2 hours and 3 hours respectively. Not sure how that is happening or otherwise came about.

Make and model router?

Apr 17, 2023
Disable one of the two enabled wireless network adapters.

Try that and allow 24 hours or so for the overall network to "catch up".

Also: who has full admin rights to the network router at 192.168.1.1?

Not sure about what is happening but the DHCP IP address lease times are different:

2 hours and 3 hours respectively. Not sure how that is happening or otherwise came about.

Make and model router?

I have had this issue for more than a year and only recently tried using two adapters so I know that it is not the issue.

I can login to the routers admin page and change stuff if thats what you mean.

Router is Sagemcom F@st 5370e

Ralston18

Titan
However there are still two wireless network adapter's now enabled - correct?

Only one network adapter should be enabled be the adapter wired or wireless. Not two adapters of either type at the same time unless bridging networks. Special case.

FYI:

https://pointerclicker.com/can-you-use-wi-fi-and-ethernet-at-the-same-time/

= = = =

Increase the lease times via the router. The current settings technically should not make a difference. However, there are trade-offs involved when it comes to short vs long lease times.

References:

https://www.linkedin.com/advice/0/what-pros-cons-using-short-vs-long-dhcp

https://www.serverbrain.org/network-services-2003/how-the-dhcp-lease-renewal-process-works-1.html

= = = =

Rerun "ipconfig /all" and post the results.

Also run "arp -a" and post those results.

= = = =

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Objective being to discover what the system is doing or trying to do when stuttering occurs.

Apr 17, 2023
However there are still two wireless network adapter's now enabled - correct?

Only one network adapter should be enabled be the adapter wired or wireless. Not two adapters of either type at the same time unless bridging networks. Special case.

FYI:

https://pointerclicker.com/can-you-use-wi-fi-and-ethernet-at-the-same-time/

= = = =

Increase the lease times via the router. The current settings technically should not make a difference. However, there are trade-offs involved when it comes to short vs long lease times.

References:

https://www.linkedin.com/advice/0/what-pros-cons-using-short-vs-long-dhcp

https://www.serverbrain.org/network-services-2003/how-the-dhcp-lease-renewal-process-works-1.html

= = = =

Rerun "ipconfig /all" and post the results.

Also run "arp -a" and post those results.

= = = =

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Objective being to discover what the system is doing or trying to do when stuttering occurs.

I took out the usb adapter from my pc.

I do not have an option on my router to change lease times it also changed to one hour instead of two hours for some reason.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V

Wireless LAN adapter Anslutning till lokalt nätverk* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac Network Adapter
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.127(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : den 18 april 2023 16:09:20
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : den 18 april 2023 17:09:19

= = = =

Interface: 192.168.1.127 --- 0x9
Internet Address Type
192.168.1.1 - dynamic
192.168.1.151 - dynamic
192.168.1.161 - dynamic
192.168.1.192 - dynamic
192.168.1.208 - dynamic
192.168.1.255 - static
224.0.0.2 - static
224.0.0.251 - static
224.0.0.252 - static
239.255.255.250 - static
255.255.255.255 - static

I used resource manager and task manager to try and figure out the issue. I started a twitch stream and chrome was receiving around 815 000 B/sec and when I started the game it went up to around 825 000.
In task manager I was first recieving around 7 Mbps and it was fine for a while but after some random time in the game it just goes down to 70Kbps or less and in resource manager chrome starts recieving less and less bytes the stream stops cant even refresh the page and after a few minutes it goes back to normal and repeats.

Ralston18

Titan
According to "ipconfig /all" your computer is obtaining a DHCP IP address from a router (Gateway) using 192.168.1.1 as its' IP address. Very commonly used router/gateway IP address for private networks.

And your computer was provided a DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.127 again per "ipconfig /all"

"arp -a" shows the Interface being 192.168.1.127 which matches what "ipconfig /all" listed.

However the physical addresses are not being shown so that is not fully confirmed.

This router?

https://manuall.co.uk/sagemcom-telia-5370e-swan-router/

According to Page 30, the default IPv4 lease time is 1 Hour. Based on the previous "ipconfig /all" results it appears that router has been factory reset if you did not change the lease time. I suggest changing the lease time to 168 hours (one week). Provided that the menu choices (small downward arrow) permit.

My next suggestion is to work through the router's User Manual page by page to double check and otherwise verify that all configuration settings are as expected for how you configured your network.

Beginning with ensuring that all devices are correctly connected as shown on Page 16.

There are many options and if you have been making changes there is a good chance that there has been some error of omission or commission.

Pay attention to all LED's/status indicators. They may provide some clue.

On your computer work with only one app or game requiring network and internet access. Forego Twitch, Chrome, etc. to simplify troubleshooting and to eliminate potential culprits.

Primary objective being to first establish a stable network that provides the speeds expected with respect to the provider ISP. You may obtain some improvement using Google as the DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Versus your ISP.

Then start adding apps back one at a time allowing time between additions., If performance falters then the last addition or some related change may be the culprit.