Question i cannot open my external hard drive after chkdsk is interrupted

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
If checkdisk is interrupted, you should be able to do it again.
Try connecting your SATA cable to another SATA port on your motherboard.
Change your SATA cable or power cable connected to your HDD or both.

Jan 25, 2020
If checkdisk is interrupted, you should be able to do it again.
Try connecting your SATA cable to another SATA port on your motherboard.
Change your SATA cable or power cable connected to your HDD or both.
its a external hard drive, so i try to use different cable?

Jan 25, 2020
i just connect it to my pc again and in disk management is says raw, i try chkdsk it but not working i keep pressing enter nothing happens not going in the next line, so i refresh disk management and its gone, please help me

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
i just connect it to my pc again and in disk management is says raw, i try chkdsk it but not working i keep pressing enter nothing happens not going in the next line, so i refresh disk management and its gone, please help me

Firstly, you should recover and save your data. There are several free or paid softwares (easeus or ...) you can use to recover files.

After that, execute clean and format commands with "diskpart" on Windows. By doing so, you will lose your data on your external HDD.

Last edited:

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
i dont know how to do that
Briefly speaking, you need at least a 8GB Flash drive. Download "ubuntu" iso file and use "Rufus" utility to make your flash drive bootable (CSM or UEFI depending on your mobo support). Disable Secure boot and temporarily boot from it. Connect your external HDD and see if you have access to your files.

Alternatively, if you have an Android tablet or phone, you can try connecting your external HDD to it.

This probably won't help. I think a "format message" will show up when you connect your external HDD but I'm not sure. Don't format when you have not recovered your data.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020
Briefly speaking, you need at least a 8GB Flash drive. Download "ubuntu" iso file and use "Rufus" utility to make your flash drive bootable (CSM or UEFI depending on your mobo support). Disable Secure boot and temporarily boot from it. Connect your external HDD and see if you have access to your files.

Alternatively, if you have an Android tablet or phone, you can try connecting your external HDD to it.

This probably won't help. I think a "format message" will show up when you connect your external HDD but I'm not sure. Don't format when you have not recovered your data.
thanks ill try it