[SOLVED] I cannot overclock my cpu

Aug 7, 2022
Hello,

I bought a cpu few weeks ago and I've tried to overclock it, but for some reason I cannot set the cpu core ratio higher than 45x, it just goes back to 45x. Can the problem be with the MOBO limiting the max frequency or is there something wrong with my cpu

PSU: Corsair RM650 80 Plus Gold (3 years old)
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix B660-A Gaming Wifi D4
GPU: Gtx 1660 Ti Dual OC
CPU: i5 12600KF

Pc is mostly used on gaming and some video editing and runs on Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Your post also begs the question as to what you expect to gain or need to gain via overclocking.

What is the host system's primary function: gaming, video editing, bit-mining, or something else?

Aug 7, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Your post also begs the question as to what you expect to gain or need to gain via overclocking.

What is the host system's primary function: gaming, video editing, bit-mining, or something else?
My pc is relatively new so all my components are about 3 years old except the CPU and motherboard which I upgraded a few weeks ago.

Ralston18

Titan
3 years is not "new".

And new does not mean that any given "new" component will immediately work or not fail within "a few weeks".

My first suspect would be that three year old PSU - especially if there is a history of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Are there any log entries that you can associate with the overclock failures via date and time?

Aug 7, 2022
3 years is not "new".

And new does not mean that any given "new" component will immediately work or not fail within "a few weeks".

My first suspect would be that three year old PSU - especially if there is a history of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Are there any log entries that you can associate with the overclock failures via date and time?
I never had any problems overclocking my older Ryzen 5 2600 cpu so I dont think that is the problem

bignastyid

Titan
Aww man, so I just need to buy a new MOBO if I want to overclock, and if so what motherboard do you suggest?
A decent OC board will likely be ~$300. A serious overclocking board if you are looking to push limits is $400+(Aorus Master, Asus Hero, EVGA Kingpin). Imho though unless you are just in it for the hobby of overclocking the added cost is not worth the performance gained.

Last edited:
Considering how little today's CPUs tend to overclock, it's arguably not worth upgrading to a higher-end motherboard just to get maybe a few percent more performance in CPU-limited scenarios. For gaming, that money would likely be better put toward graphics hardware instead.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not worth it to OC 12thGen Intel. Back in the day, the 3rd gen turbo was 3.8Gzhz and that could be pushed upto 5.1GHz in very rare cases, 5.0GHz in rare cases, but most capped out at 4.8/4.9GHz. A 1.0GHz OC.

You aren't going to get that out of 12thGen because Intel got smart and did it for you. Now you get a base speed of like 2.8GHz and turbo of 5.1GHz with all cores at 4.7GHz.

There's really not much to be gained, even with locking all cores, because generally the cpu will be at higher speeds on the cores it is using vs what you get locking all the cores and wasting power doing so.

Save your money or invest in a better gpu etc, it'll get you more than wasting money on a Z for only a few fps gained.

Reactions: alexbirdie