[SOLVED] I cannot overclock my RAM to 3200 Mhz on MSI x570 Gaming Plus

Oct 6, 2020
Im trying to overclock my RAM up to 3200MHz in BIOS however every time I'm doing it, the screen just went black for several minutes. Any ideas how to deal with it?

MSI X570 Gaming Plus
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM 16GB (8*2) DDR4 - 3200Mhz

Solution
Try setting the A-XMP profile BUT then change the DRAM frequency to 2933 and see if that boots.
If not try 2866 or 2666.
Also make SURE your DRAM voltage is getting set at 1.35V.

Sadly Corsair Vengeance RAM kits have proven to Not always run at their rated speeds on Ryzen systems.
Oct 6, 2020
Which dimm slots are you using? 2nd and 4th slot from cpu?

When screen blacks out, im assuming that is after save settings and reboot? Is XMP profile all you are applying before saving?
Yes Im using 2nd and 4th. And yes again after save settings and reboot, my screen is blacking out. The time Im trying it to OC Im just turning on the A-XMP then save it.

Im actually afraid to update my bios because there are so many posts how risky it is.
It can be scary but also important. Many BIOS updates also include better memory compatibility improvements. Do you know what version you are on now? I can only suggest to watch some videos about updating the BIOS ,(especially those of your motherboard,) to familiarise yourself with the procedure. If not,do you have a PC shop near you? If you're not confident doing it yourself, you could ask them if they provide a service to do it for you? Good luck!

jasonf2

Distinguished
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-20
Look up your CPU on that list. Cross reference to your RAM. If it is on the QVL it will have a supported speed. You more than likely won't go any higher than that speed regardless of how much you play with it. Corsair vengeance on ryzen for me has not been a good OC match. XMP profiles are just predefined overclocks, so don't bother with them because they won't be stable if the board can't handle it. Set the thing back to default SPD settings and you will more than likely stabilize. The symptoms you are describing are what happens when RAM overclocking fails.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Can you go into bios and find what bios version you are using?
Can you go to the motherboard website and find what level the latest bios is now on?
Can you tell us what your full PC specs are?
Can you tell me the part number of the ram kit you are using.
If it's not on the motherboard's memory QVL for your CPU then it either hasn't been tested or it's been tested and found not to work.

Oct 6, 2020
Can you go into bios and find what bios version you are using?
Can you go to the motherboard website and find what level the latest bios is now on?
Can you tell us what your full PC specs are?
Can you tell me the part number of the ram kit you are using.
If it's not on the motherboard's memory QVL for your CPU then it either hasn't been tested or it's been tested and found not to work.

1. E7C37AMS.A10
  2. 7C37vAB2 (Beta version)
  3. CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 Ver4.32

Oct 6, 2020
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-20
Look up your CPU on that list. Cross reference to your RAM. If it is on the QVL it will have a supported speed. You more than likely won't go any higher than that speed regardless of how much you play with it. Corsair vengeance on ryzen for me has not been a good OC match. XMP profiles are just predefined overclocks, so don't bother with them because they won't be stable if the board can't handle it. Set the thing back to default SPD settings and you will more than likely stabilize. The symptoms you are describing are what happens when RAM overclocking fails.

Already checked my RAM model (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 Ver4.32) is listed but it has different version.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Try setting the A-XMP profile BUT then change the DRAM frequency to 2933 and see if that boots.
If not try 2866 or 2666.
Also make SURE your DRAM voltage is getting set at 1.35V.

Sadly Corsair Vengeance RAM kits have proven to Not always run at their rated speeds on Ryzen systems.

Solution
Oct 8, 2020
plug 1 ram stick into the a2 slot or whatever slot your mobo mnfer deems fit. boot, the bios will auto recognize non QVL ram. Shutdown, Install 2nd stick. simple easy, in most manuals, you mobo tech support would likely tell you the same thing good day.