[SOLVED] I cannot run i7 4790(non K) at 4ghz on Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3 motherboard ?

mafi

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I enter the Bios, disable turbo boost, adjust the multiplier to 40. But then the CPU runs at only 3.8 ghz.
I know, you will say that 4 ghz is only for 2 cores, the max frequency for all 4 cores is only 3.8 ghz.
Before I had a cheap MSI H81 motherboard and all 4 cores were running at 4 ghz when I adusted the multiplier to 40 from Bios.
It looks like a cheap MSI H81 was capable to max all for cores at 4 ghz and a Gigabyte Z97 isn't.

I have F7 Bios version.
https://www.gigabyte.com/ro/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-Gaming-3-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Solution
you can't adjust the multiplier on that CPU because it is locked. (non K is locked, and cannot be overclocked)
Only thing you can do is possibly adjust the base clock, but doing that can result in stability issues with other things that rely on that like RAM and HDD.

If you want to adjust the multiplier and overclock, you need a CPU that has the ability to be overclocked (for Intel this is K and X series chips on desktop)
And you need a Z or X series motherboard (depending on which type of CPU it is)

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you can't adjust the multiplier on that CPU because it is locked. (non K is locked, and cannot be overclocked)
Only thing you can do is possibly adjust the base clock, but doing that can result in stability issues with other things that rely on that like RAM and HDD.

If you want to adjust the multiplier and overclock, you need a CPU that has the ability to be overclocked (for Intel this is K and X series chips on desktop)
And you need a Z or X series motherboard (depending on which type of CPU it is)

Solution