I cannot set my computer back to factory default settings or refresh it

ClaudiaThompson

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Lately, my computer is doing a couple of strange things. One of them is that I cannot set it back to factory default settings at all. I cannot do a System Restore of any kind. I also cannot find the Windows 8 tile to be able to reinstall Windows 8 from the Store.

The reason that I wanted to do a system restore is because my mouse, folders, and windows that pop up have been flashing on and off. They have been doing this continuously.

Another thing is that I cannot locate my Internet Explorer. I have tried swiping the bottom right of my computer screen on the charms bar and in the search typing in 'Internet Explorer' but it is not there. It is not on my taskbar or in my programs. But if I try reinstalling IE something says that it is already on my computer.

Would anyone please assist me with these problems?

ClaudiaThompson

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Yes, I have already done that, multiple times yesterday, and it does not allow me to do a system restore. I clicked on Change PC Settings/Update and Recovery/Recovery and I tried both 'Refresh your PC without affecting your Files' and also 'Remove everything and reinstall Windows' and neither of them work at all anymore.

Did you make recovery media when you got your computer?
If not - you can get it from the manufacturer for like $20, and boot from that USB / DVD to restore your PC.
Also - check the documentation whether there's a secret key to press during power-up to enter recovery mode.