I can't access a Laptop from a wireless connection

-- I am using a linksys broadband router, and I have two computers. A lapton
on
the living room which is conectes via a ethernet cable to the router and a
desktop in the bedroom which is conected to the router thorough a motorola
usb wireless adapter. From the laptop (wired) I can see the desktop and
access from it the shared files, but from the desktop (wireless) I see the
laptop, but I can acces any of the files, I always get the message: "
.......(name of pc) is not accesible you might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permisions. The server is not started"
By the way both computer access succesfully the internet.
Thanks
--

eortega007

If you'd like to work on this one-on-one, you are welcome to email me.

Carey@careyholzman.com

"tombcat142000" <tombcat142000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> -- I am using a linksys broadband router, and I have two computers. A
> lapton
> on
> the living room which is conectes via a ethernet cable to the router and a
> desktop in the bedroom which is conected to the router thorough a motorola
> usb wireless adapter. From the laptop (wired) I can see the desktop and
> access from it the shared files, but from the desktop (wireless) I see the
> laptop, but I can acces any of the files, I always get the message: "
> ......(name of pc) is not accesible you might not have permission to use
> this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you
> have access permisions. The server is not started"
> By the way both computer access succesfully the internet.
> Thanks
> --
>

> eortega007

Greetings tombcat,

Go into the Services (Click Start - Run - services.msc) and scroll to the
Services and make sure it is started and set to automatic.

______________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

"tombcat142000" <tombcat142000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> -- I am using a linksys broadband router, and I have two computers. A
> lapton
> on
> the living room which is conectes via a ethernet cable to the router and a
> desktop in the bedroom which is conected to the router thorough a motorola
> usb wireless adapter. From the laptop (wired) I can see the desktop and
> access from it the shared files, but from the desktop (wireless) I see the
> laptop, but I can acces any of the files, I always get the message: "
> ......(name of pc) is not accesible you might not have permission to use
> this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you
> have access permisions. The server is not started"
> By the way both computer access succesfully the internet.
> Thanks
> --
>

> eortega007

Greetings tombcat,

Appology for my last post. =)

Go into the Services (Click Start - Run - services.msc) and scroll to the
Server service and make sure it is started and set to automatic.

______________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

"tombcat142000" <tombcat142000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> -- I am using a linksys broadband router, and I have two computers. A
> lapton
> on
> the living room which is conectes via a ethernet cable to the router and a
> desktop in the bedroom which is conected to the router thorough a motorola
> usb wireless adapter. From the laptop (wired) I can see the desktop and
> access from it the shared files, but from the desktop (wireless) I see the
> laptop, but I can acces any of the files, I always get the message: "
> ......(name of pc) is not accesible you might not have permission to use
> this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you
> have access permisions. The server is not started"
> By the way both computer access succesfully the internet.
> Thanks
> --
>

> eortega007

I'm having the identical problem. I followed your advice. The Server on the
laptop was paused, and I started it. The desktop server was OK. It still
doesn't work.

Any further comments on this, please?

Jim Berglund

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings tombcat,
>
> Appology for my last post. =)
>
> Go into the Services (Click Start - Run - services.msc) and scroll to the
> Server service and make sure it is started and set to automatic.
>
> ______________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>

> "tombcat142000" <tombcat142000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > -- I am using a linksys broadband router, and I have two computers. A
> > lapton
> > on
> > the living room which is conectes via a ethernet cable to the router and a
> > desktop in the bedroom which is conected to the router thorough a motorola
> > usb wireless adapter. From the laptop (wired) I can see the desktop and
> > access from it the shared files, but from the desktop (wireless) I see the
> > laptop, but I can acces any of the files, I always get the message: "
> > ......(name of pc) is not accesible you might not have permission to use
> > this
> > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> > you
> > have access permisions. The server is not started"
> > By the way both computer access succesfully the internet.
> > Thanks
> > --
> >

> > eortega007

Greetings Jim,

Are there any relevant error messages in Event Viewer? To run it, click
Start | Control Panel | Performance and Maintenance | Administrative Tools |
Event Viewer.

For more information, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

________________

Jim Berglund wrote:
> I'm having the identical problem. I followed your advice. The Server on the
> laptop was paused, and I started it. The desktop server was OK. It still
> doesn't work.
>
> Any further comments on this, please?
>
> Jim Berglund
>
> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Greetings tombcat,
>>
>>Appology for my last post. =)
>>
>>Go into the Services (Click Start - Run - services.msc) and scroll to the
>>Server service and make sure it is started and set to automatic.
>>
>>______________
>>Eric Cross
>>Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>

>>"tombcat142000" <tombcat142000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>-- I am using a linksys broadband router, and I have two computers. A
>>>lapton
>>>on
>>>the living room which is conectes via a ethernet cable to the router and a
>>>desktop in the bedroom which is conected to the router thorough a motorola
>>>usb wireless adapter. From the laptop (wired) I can see the desktop and
>>>access from it the shared files, but from the desktop (wireless) I see the
>>>laptop, but I can acces any of the files, I always get the message: "
>>>......(name of pc) is not accesible you might not have permission to use
>>>this
>>>network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
>>>you
>>>have access permisions. The server is not started"
>>>By the way both computer access succesfully the internet.
>>>Thanks
>>>--
>>>

>>>eortega007

It is necessary to set the 'shares' on each computer to authorize
access, and this should be done with an administrator signon. Note that

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"tombcat142000" <tombcat142000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> -- I am using a linksys broadband router, and I have two computers. A
> lapton
> on
> the living room which is conectes via a ethernet cable to the router and a
> desktop in the bedroom which is conected to the router thorough a motorola
> usb wireless adapter. From the laptop (wired) I can see the desktop and
> access from it the shared files, but from the desktop (wireless) I see the
> laptop, but I can acces any of the files, I always get the message: "
> ......(name of pc) is not accesible you might not have permission to use
> this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you
> have access permisions. The server is not started"
> By the way both computer access succesfully the internet.
> Thanks
> --
>

> eortega007

Do you have any firewall in place such as zone alarm? It let me connect to
the internet but wouldn't let me view files or share the printer until I
turned it off. Have now added the ip addresses to the zone alarm trusted
zones and it works fine.