I can't access any programs on windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ4rk4ngel30

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hello, i'm mike and I can't access any programs. I have a dell optiplex gx280, 1 gig ram, intel 4cpu 2.40 ghz 2.29ghz. I think I have a virus, but can't access any programs at all, I get a window that says " Choose the program you want to use to open this file:" I can't even open my anti virus software or even get on the internet. I'm a DJ and use the comp for work, any help?

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Sounds like malware bro. Try to boot it into safe mode (Hold F8 key before Windows boots up) try to run a program, also download Malwarebytes Anti-malware from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Run a scan with the machine in safe mode and post back any results. We may need to run additional anti-virus software but I wanna see what this one picks up first. When you boot into safe mode select "Safe mode with networking" so you can download the software.

I highly recommend a format of the drive and reinstall windows.

Before you do that, you can try to add this drive as a secondary in another computer (that has up to date virus scanner) and run a virus scanner against it. Backup all you music and data, then proceed with deleting all partitions on that drive before attempting to reinstall windows.

Along with that, it's always best to partition a C and D drive and keep all your data on D (and back it up). Once you get a clean, patched version of Windows on, make an image of that using windows built in utility to make it *much* easier to recover if the malware can't be cleaned. Just relead C and any programs installed since the image - your data stays intact.

Aug 17, 2019
it similar to what happen to me a few time ago. suddenly i cant open some software, it says "windows cant find path/file". even though i am using admin account still cant open it. luckily i can still open malwarebytes, i ran it, restart then everything back to how it was.

USAFRet

Titan
it similar to what happen to me a few time ago. suddenly i cant open some software, it says "windows cant find path/file". even though i am using admin account still cant open it. luckily i can still open malwarebytes, i ran it, restart then everything back to how it was.
7 years later, I hope the OP is still not messing with this.

Please don't dredge up ancient threads. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.