Question I can't access one website from one location. The TLS handshake fails.

rsteinmetz70112

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I cannot access my online banking from my office every attempt fails .
  • I have tried several different browsers.
  • I have tried several Windows 10 and Linux computers.
  • I have contacted the bank.
  • I have tried contacting my ISP (ATT) no one can help.
  • I have tried disabling the firewall.
  • I have tried disabling the Antivirus.
  • I have reset the gateway to factory defaults.
I am at a loss on what to try next.

kanewolf

Titan
I cannot access my online banking from my office every attempt fails .
  • I have tried several different browsers.
  • I have tried several Windows 10 and Linux computers.
  • I have contacted the bank.
  • I have tried contacting my ISP (ATT) no one can help.
  • I have tried disabling the firewall.
  • I have tried disabling the Antivirus.
  • I have reset the gateway to factory defaults.
I am at a loss on what to try next.
Is this a small business where you control the entire network, or a large corporation with an IT group, where you control very little ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This sort of error is often caused by your system time being incorrect. While it seems unlikely that multiple devices at your business location would have the incorrect time (unless all set from the same source), you should take a look at your time settings, including the timezone selected.

rsteinmetz70112

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
This is my business. I control and administer the network with about 15 desktop computers and a few tablets or phones.
Responding to comments above.
  • I've checked the time and all computers are set to use internet time.
  • I've looked at the firewall and haven't found anything that I can identify as causing a problem, but that doesn't rule it out.
  • It could be some kind of malware, but it seems to only affect this one website.

One odd thing I've discovered is that one computer can access the bank. It's the only computer running a 32 bit operating system - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Not sure what to make of that.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as a quick test, try a vpn or proxy to see if that works. if so, then you know it is something to do with the local network.

a traceroute can also help see where the connection might be failing. can show at least if it inside or outside the network.

rsteinmetz70112

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I'm beginning to suspect it's somehow related to my network or my ISP, how I don't know and can't imagine how that might be. One thing I intend to try when I get back is to take everything on the network down and connect a "virgin" computer to see if I can duplicate the problem with a computer only connected to the Internet Gateway. I also wonder if my switch is causing problems, it's pretty old and could be doing something weird.

rsteinmetz70112

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I am still having this problem I just spent the last hour talking to someone who only knows how to read the script and would not take my word that I had done everything already multiple times.

I think I have confirmed the problem is with the ATT Network. I can access the bank from my home, my other office in another state or through the ATT wireless network. Only from this office do I have problems.

Over the weekend I shut down every device connected to our network. I connected a laptop which had never been in this office before by cable directly to the ATT BGW210 Gateway and tried to access the bank. It failed exactly the same way it has failed every time. The TLS handshake with bank failed.

ATTs solution is that it's the bank.

rsteinmetz70112

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
That's the one. When it was installed I had horrible problems with it not handling IP passthrough correctly. I eventually found a new software update, without ATT help, that fixed the problems I was having then. This problem started fairly recently.

I think I'll try to get ATT to swap it out, although I'm concerned that that will only cause more problems.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I eventually found a new software update, without ATT help, that fixed the problems I was having then. "

May or may not have a legitimate or applicable software update. And/or AT&T changed something.

Seconding @COLGeek.

Start with the Gateway and the replacement.

As for "more problems" - yes that can happen so have a backup plan ready.

TRENDING THREADS