[SOLVED] I can't alt-tab out of games ?

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I'm fairly certain this is a windows thing because this didn't use to be a problem, then all of a sudden it was a problem for a few months, gone for a few months, and back ever since. Suspiciously like the timeframe I do windows updates. Anyways, when I try to alt tab out of a game, it keeps me in the game. I notice that the programs I try to alt tab into start flashing orange to try and get my attention (forgot what the term is called). The alt tab function works fine otherwise. I can alt tab BACK into my game, but not out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
If it's not that, try go to task manager / startup and deselect everything there and reboot. If alt tabbing works afterwards try narrow down which background process is responsible.

Also try run system file checker. Open cmd as administrator and type sfc /scannow ~ I know you said other games haven't this issue but might be coincidence and games that are having issues use file system differently. Hopefully sfc does something.

Lutfij

Titan
What version of Windows 10 are you working with at the time of writing? Mind sharing what game you're playing when you have the Alt-Tab' ing issue. Some titles don't allow you to alt tab, can't recall which game it was but I had to save and exit in order to see the desktop for that one particular title.

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
windows 10 21H1 build 19043.1237. This is happening with apex legends and new world. I'm sure there's more but I haven't played them recently. But now that you mention it, it's not with all games. I don't have that issue with any of my sudoku games, total war games, or powerwash simulator

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you disabled fullscreen optimisation under compatibility tab by any chance with those games? If the box is checked it's disabled for that application. Fullscreen opt is blend between fullscreen and borderless, suppose to make alt tabbing more seamless.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If it's not that, try go to task manager / startup and deselect everything there and reboot. If alt tabbing works afterwards try narrow down which background process is responsible.

Also try run system file checker. Open cmd as administrator and type sfc /scannow ~ I know you said other games haven't this issue but might be coincidence and games that are having issues use file system differently. Hopefully sfc does something.

Solution

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
Fullscreen optimisation is a setting for every exe. Might not be disabled but to check, visit game folder and locate main application exe and right click to properties then go to compatibility.
tried checking the disable fullscreen optimizations, still had the problem. sfc came up good and i will try your other test soon