I can't boot my pc when SSD is plugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedrojg2001

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
System specs:
Motherboard: gigabyte h110 gaming-3
SSD: Kingston SSDNOW UV400 240GB (~3 months old)
Hdd: WD 1TB 7200rpm
I5 6500
16GB RAM
Rx 480

Yesterday i Was playing some games with a friend of mine when suddenly my pc froze. I could still hear my friend but couldnt move...
Seconds after, my monitor turned off and I was Scared so I turned the pc down.

I boot Windows again and there are no problems. I continue playing for a few seconds, and it happens again.

So I try to boot up again, but this time it says preparing automatic recovery, and goes to a Black screen for literally hours. (i left it there because I had to go take some classes) When i came back, I tried booting with the GPU unplugged just in case. Nothing...

I try messing up some things until i realize the BIOS is not recognizing my ssd which has Windows, so I thought ssd would have died. I try doing some weird solution i found online having to do with letting the computer idle for 30min with ssd plugged with only power, and suddenly bios started showing the disk, but i cant boot off it, so I try booting from this very ssd in another different computer and still nothing.

Then I try booting from some other hdd my pc had (which had win10 as well)
And I can boot up after some tweaking of settings. Here comes the problem: any time i try to boot my pc and the ssd is plugged, I get a Black screen, no matter what disk Order is set or how many disks are there plugged, not even the Order of the sata connections. With the ssd in, I cant even start the Windows installation usb, it will start to load but take me to the same Black screen.

I honestly dont really know what to do, since I have tried every single thing i have found online. Any help would be appreciated :(.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Jim23k
Solution
you can plugin your SSD to another computers SATA drive to back up your data. after that is done proceed below.

put only the SSD in your SATA0/1 port and as soon as you ahve your USB UEFI installer from the windows media creation tool. plug it into your USB. boot. press F8 (or F2/DEL to go to boot menu) and select the USB UEFI installer. delete all the partitions. install. auto reboots to your SSD. update windows. restart. install drivers from your motherboard site starting with your chipset driver. then your graphics driver then the rest. restart. shutdown.

now you can plugin back your secondary SATA drives. boot./

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
hi, there. can you show us how your BIOS looks like? can you show us your Boot menu? is your SATA mode set to AHCI?
do you have SATA to USB adapter/enclosure/docking bay to check if your SSD is still working and undamaged.
with all your symptoms either your motherboard or powersupply is dying but im guessing from the symptoms you mentioned.

pedrojg2001

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I'm using a mobile phone, and have never really used this forum before, so I dont know how to show you how bios looks.

Sata is set to AHCI, yes. But i dont have sata to usb enclosure.
I dont think either two are dying because the disk hasnt worked on my family's pc either

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
did you try doing a fresh install of windows on your SSD? remove all your other SATA drives during the install process. backup your data on the SSD to another drive. if you dont have an installer, prepare one from the link below.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

make sure your BIOS is set as this before the install :
* SATA mode to AHCI
* boot priority to SSD drive (windows boot mgr/uefi)
* hard drive BBS priority to SSD drive
* Boot mode to UEFI/Uefi+legacy/CSM disabled
* Secure boot to disabled (ignore if not available)
save & reset.

if you already did a fresh install on SSD, just ignore the above and check your BIOS settings.

pedrojg2001

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I can't freshly install Windows since I cant get to the installation screen if the ssd is plugged, and I cant make it show up if i plug it in afterwards.
And how can i back my stuff up without the enclosure you mentioned before?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you can plugin your SSD to another computers SATA drive to back up your data. after that is done proceed below.

put only the SSD in your SATA0/1 port and as soon as you ahve your USB UEFI installer from the windows media creation tool. plug it into your USB. boot. press F8 (or F2/DEL to go to boot menu) and select the USB UEFI installer. delete all the partitions. install. auto reboots to your SSD. update windows. restart. install drivers from your motherboard site starting with your chipset driver. then your graphics driver then the rest. restart. shutdown.

now you can plugin back your secondary SATA drives. boot./

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.