Question I can't boot windows it nvme SSD M.2 after I changed my motherboard (it has windows already in)

Dec 11, 2021
Boys, I can't boot windows it my M.2 ssd I presume It's because I installed on the second slot of my motherboard but also because it had already a windows from my previous motherboard. (I changed the processor) everything worked fine and I updated BIOS but the strange thing is that there is something called UEFI that is it's something about being compatible it the UEFI of my other motherboard so I have to boot the motherboard as CSM ? What should I do ? At the moment I'm at my second PC and I will change the NVME to the first slot.

B550 MSI BAZOOKA
RYZEN 5 5600X
TUF S41 500GB NVME SSD M.2
8X8 ADATA XPG GAMMIX D30
SSD 250 GB

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry, I forgot to put my PC, I already edit it. And I read somewhere that I shouldn't need to reinstall: "You don’t have to reinstall Windows 10 after upgrading your motherboard if you take a few steps before making the switch. The difficulty is getting Windows 10 and your new motherboard to play nicely after you complete the upgrade. ". Also my BIOS detected my SSD but I couldn't find any boot besides hardisk, usb and net lan. And now I got a screw that in my first m.2 slot that is soft locked that small one and I can't get it out.
Don't know where you read that, but "don't have to" is false advice.

Windows 10 is much better than previous version for doing this, but by no means 100% guaranteed.
Anyone that proclaims so is deluded.

Three possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I''ve personally seen all 3. And working with many many user here (hundreds at least) shows it does NOT work all the time. Period.

It's up to you to determine how much drive space you need for Windows and installed applications. Windows alone takes somewhere around 30 GB when updated.

250 GB is plenty for most users. Maybe not for you. You make that determination. I've never used more than 50.

You can use the second NVMe for whatever you want.....storage probably.

USAFRet

Titan
That is so bad bro, I try to avoid possible problems but what I found was those people. Well do you think I should use my 250gb ssd as my new OS and use nvme as a second to one and then extract my files ? But if the first case fails (putting nvme in first slot because I can't find the boot) should I ?
Either way will work.
Space requirements is all up to you.

I would probably have the OS and applications on the 250GB, and all the projects, etc on the 1TB.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah bro but I would just use it to extract my files then format my nvme to get it back but I still can't find nothing about nvme not booting and windows appearing. Do the cases you got have something to do it windows and not actual boot issues ?
An NVMe drive can absolutely be used as the OS drive.
I do.

Moving to a different motherboard, even if 100% compatible, does NOT always boot up.
Period.

Currently, this drive does not boot up in the new hardware.

You need to do either of two things:
  1. Put the old system back together, and 'extract' your desired files
  2. Install the OS on some other drive, put this drive in as a secondary drive, ad 'extract' what you need.

Dec 11, 2021
Changing the motherboard, a full wipe and reinstall is usually needed.

Give us the details about the two systems.
Sorry, I forgot to put my PC, I already edit it. And I read somewhere that I shouldn't need to reinstall: "You don’t have to reinstall Windows 10 after upgrading your motherboard if you take a few steps before making the switch. The difficulty is getting Windows 10 and your new motherboard to play nicely after you complete the upgrade. ". Also my BIOS detected my SSD but I couldn't find any boot besides hardisk, usb and net lan. And now I got a screw that in my first m.2 slot that is soft locked that small one and I can't get it out.

Dec 11, 2021
Don't know where you read that, but "don't have to" is false advice.

Windows 10 is much better than previous version for doing this, but by no means 100% guaranteed.
Anyone that proclaims so is deluded.

Three possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I''ve personally seen all 3. And working with many many user here (hundreds at least) shows it does NOT work all the time. Period.
That is so bad bro, I try to avoid possible problems but what I found was those people. Well do you think I should use my 250gb ssd as my new OS and use nvme as a second to one and then extract my files ? But if the first case fails (putting nvme in first slot because I can't find the boot) should I ?

Dec 11, 2021
It's up to you to determine how much drive space you need for Windows and installed applications. Windows alone takes somewhere around 30 GB when updated.

250 GB is plenty for most users. Maybe not for you. You make that determination. I've never used more than 50.

You can use the second NVMe for whatever you want.....storage probably.
Probably
Either way will work.
Space requirements is all up to you.

I would probably have the OS and applications on the 250GB, and all the projects, etc on the 1TB.
Yeah bro but I would just use it to extract my files then format my nvme to get it back but I still can't find nothing about nvme not booting and windows appearing. Do the cases you got have something to do it windows and not actual boot issues ?