I can't boot Windows! Please help

cartman28279

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Ok so, 3 days ago everything on my PC was fine and dandy and running great. Then I tried to get on the next day and and Windows wouldn't load at all and all I had was a black screen after the screen showing how to get to my BIOS popped up. So I restarted it then a screen came up for the Windows Start-up repair and it showed start windows normally, but when I clicked the repair it started loading then after it finished the screen just stayed black and of course start windows normally doesn't work. I've been trying to fix it for 2 days now and about everything I tried didn't work. By the way the night before it stopped working I used the power button on the front of my desktop because I didn't have enough time to shut it down so maybe it has something to do with that.

Anyways here's all the things that I tried:

-Like I said before the startup repair screen didn't.

-I held in f8 to bring up Advanced boot options to try the Repair Your Computer option from there as well, but it didn't work.

-Not to mention most of the things in the Advanced boot options didn't load when I clicked on them. When I click on any of the 3 safe mode options to chose from, it starts loading files and it just stops at the same spot.

- I tried Last Known Good Configuration and it the screen just stayed black and didn't load after I pressed it.

-I went and grabbed my Windows 7 CD and tried to boot the disc at startup and it started loading and showing the same bar like the one when it tries to do a system repair but the screen goes black after it stops loading.

-Then I went into my BIOS to try and figure out something out but that utterly failed.

I'm really running out of ideas on what to do and I have no idea how to get this working right again. So please to help me out because I have to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you for reading.

This could be a hardware issue. If you are able, download Seatools for DOS and burn the image to a CD. You will then be able to check out your HDD for errors.
http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Another possibility is a RAM failure, if you have more than one stick of RAM try removing one at a time to see if you progress any further with Boot

The fact that some of the repair options don't load when you click on them indicates three likely causes of your problem, which are bad memory, corrupt hard disk, faulty hard disk. The memory can easily be tested by downloading and running memtest86 for at least three passes. The hard disk can be easily tested by using a utility disk such as Hiren's boot CD by selecting the manufacturer of your hard drive diagnostic utility. Any corruption of the hard drive can be tested if you can get to the command prompt in the Advanced boot options and running CHKDSK /F/R If not if you have the Windows 7 installation DVD then you can boot from it and select repair.
Of the three likely causes then I would suspect the hard disk being corrupted first.

cartman28279

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
@Rockdpm if you mean my specs then here they are:

AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2 ghz

PowerColor Radeon 6850

Xtreme Gear 500W ATX Model# XG-P500

4 gb Ram

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS

465 gb Hard Drive

@dodger46 I'll try this soon.

@pjmelect When I go to Advanced Boot options and click on command prompt it won't load either. :( Any way to get around all of this?

cartman28279

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I think so, because when I put in my Windows CD and booted it at startup it started loading and after it finished nothing happened. I think I'm doing it right. So at startup I tap f8 so a blue screen pops up showing two different things like "sata" and "CD" and I click on CD and it says to press any button to boot from CD. Then after a bar starts loading the screen just stays black. So I don't know, if I'm doing something wrong then tell me.

Thanks.

Ok this is what you need to do Go into your BIOS and set your CD drive to primary boot. insert your windows CD and the cd will be the first boot media your computer detects. then you should see the load bar then select the hard drive you would like to format which would be the WD**** then format it. and BAM enter your product key (call microsoft if the key doesn't work) then when your into windows let us know. If this doesn't fix it. I hate to send people to other forums but you may want to go to the Microsoft or Windows forums and see

cartman28279

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Ok, but before I try to use Seatools is there anything you think I could do to get system restore or anything like that working? Because everything was fine the night before this happened.

cartman28279

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
OMG OMG YES! Hey guys I found out how to fix it! Ok so, about year ago when I got my PC I noticed something on a box that stored my CD's and Software to install on my computer that said "Core Unlocker Performance Boost". So I was like this is going to be really cool, I'll be able to activate more cores so I have a quad core processor! Basically this AMD Anthlon apparently has 2 extra unused cores that you can activate my going into your BIOS and if you have it enabled every time you turn on your PC it says at the bottom of my screen and says something like "2 cores unlocked!". And for some reason out of the 4 days I've been trying to fix this I just noticed about 15 minutes ago it wasn't showing that at startup but it said "Press 4 to unlock cores" instead. I was curious to see what would happen if I pressed it, and so I did. Then my PC restarted twice and I thought I was going to be in a worse place then what I was already in. But no, it actually let me pass the screen after it showed Start Windows Normally and Launch Start Up Repair and it let me log on and now it works like a charm and my PC is back to normal again! Thanks a lot for the help though. I had a feeling there was something that really simple to do to get it working again, xD. Funny how that caused it to not boot.

Anyways thanks again! :D

AND to make one thing clear: There is NO free "fix it" software that you need to make your system run correctly. Avoid these types of downloads.

One thing is to make sure that the priority of the game is highest, there maybe other processes running that have priority over the game.
Including for instance security programs and antivirus. The latest of which have gaming modes.
If there is not a gaming mode on the security try turning it OFF.

Another good thing is to eliminate as many unused / junk / UN-needed applications.
turn off the screen saver
Go into the power profiles,
set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF
leave the monitor standby ON, that's OK (maybe not, try OFF)
Set the Hard Drive standby to NEVER
Set system Performance to MAXIMUM, not "quiet mode."

Open the bios set up and make sure "cool and quiet" is OFF. (AMD)
There may be a performance setting in the bios setup you have...make sure it's cranked up to max.
in the bios, see that the allocation for video, if available, is maxed.

Now open the hardware manager profiles...
click start
click computer
click system properties
click device manager
double click on mice and other pointing devices
right click on HID compliant mouse
left click on properties
click on the power management tab
UN-check the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (there is now NO check mark in this box)
click OK

Now repeat this procedure for all mice, monitors, keyboards, and ALL USB ports on the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.

cartman28279

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I'll check on my task manager here soon, but I opened the BIOS and turned core activation or whatever it was called from Auto to manual and it showed this.

2nd Core On

3rd Core Off

4th Core On

5th Core On

6th core On

What should I do with the third core, enable it or leave it be?

And one more thing btw, does the core unlocker actually give me a performance boost like having a quad or six core proccessor, or does it just activate some extra cores that are basically useless? And if so would there be a way to get the most out of them? lol sorry I just don't know much about Core Unlocker even though I've had on my PC for over a year now.

Thanks

Well, according to Forums elsewhere, in theory you can't unlock extra cores as it's a Regor chip, and has none to unlock... Of course, you can't make a comparison as you can't boot without employing the core unlocker... interesting to see what appears in Task Manager... This is what you should see with multiple cores activated ('cept i got 6...)