i can't change "default program" for certain file extension (.apk, .torrent, .iso, etc..)

alaslipknot

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi,

i've been fighting this problem for the past 5 days and it really caused me a lot of trouble.
Here is a GIF that explain the entire thing (gif) :

-This is what happens when i try to make a .iso file use DAEMON tools as a default program

-Same thing but going through the property setting of the file

This basically happens to almost every "new" file extension i get, .Gif or .mp3 for example works normally and i can change their default app, but other files like .apk, .torrent, .iso give me that issue.
The things i tried so far :

1) Cleaning registry with CCleaner and Registry Recycler
2) sfc/scannow (gave some errors) so next i did :
3) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, worked okay.
4) sfc/scannow again, this time no error
5) Install all the important Windows updates (which is something that i always try to avoid)
6) scan computer for malware and viruses and found nothing. (using free version of avast (updated))

After some research i found that i need to take a look at the registry entries in this location :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

And just by comparing 2 "bad" extension (.iso & .torrent) with another "good" extension, you can tell that there is a difference between them

Also, this is not directly related but since this problem starting to happen something else has been wrong too, which is saving folder property, for example if i enter a folder and choose to re-arrange item by size, it does that, but when i close and re-open the folder, the item are re-arranged by name again, which usually doesn't happens, Windows is supposed to remember how i want to see the data in that folder, but it doesn't do that anymore.
I've asked about this problem in many places (eightForum, superUser, windows support) and got nothing helpful, i would really appreciate it if you can help me with this, it's such a pain and kinda starting to force me to update to w10 which i don't want to do at the moment.

Thank you and have a great day.

My specs :
Cpu : intel i7-4770 3.40Ghz
Gpu : nVidia GTX-750
Ram : 8Gb
HDD : 2tb