[SOLVED] I can't change my screen to its highest possible resolution on Windows 10

ethanpenn

Reputable
May 5, 2018
I'm currently using an Asus VG245 for one of my monitors, and a Dell Canvas drawing tablet for the other. I used to have scaling issues with some of my programs because the Canvas was set to 1440p while the Asus monitor was at its maximum resolution of 1080p. I set the Canvas to 1080p in the settings because of this. Now, for whatever reason, if I try and set the Canvas's resolution to something higher, my only option is the weird "2040 x 1080." I have no idea why this might be. 1440p is no longer a listed option.

My graphics drivers are up to date, and I've restarted my computer. I've tried this with the Canvas being both the primary and non-primary display.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening and how I can recover my 1440p resolution?

EDIT: I forgot to mention this. I'm using a GTX 1080 which only has 1 HDMI port and 3 Display Ports. The Canvas is connected from the monitor itself to a converter cable, HDMI > DP, and is then plugged into a DP port. I'm not sure if this would affect it, as I thought that had more to do with refresh rates and things like that.

EDIT #2 (Solution!): I removed the adapter for HDMI > DP, and unplugged my Oculus from the HDMI port, plugging the tablet directly in. After that, the resolution went up to 1440p. :/ Apparently I can only have one thing at a time plugged in, since most of my devices only natively support HDMI, not DP. :/

Solution
I went to go look at the Dell Canvas' specification because this sounds like a big blunder by Dell to sell what is essentially a monitor with only HDMI inputs. However, that does not appear to be true. From what I can see, the device has 3 display connectors: Mini HDMI, Mini DP, USB-C. Is this correct? If so, why did you not use a DisplayPort to Mini DP cable/adapter? I would highly recommend you connect via DisplayPort.

Canvas27_PortsView_BK_01.JPG

ethanpenn

Reputable
May 5, 2018
I apparently set the Canvas up originally by directly plugging in the HDMI to the graphics card (in place of my Oculus), and then it stopped giving me higher resolution options when I swapped it out for the adapter. More info in the edits of the question.

I went to go look at the Dell Canvas' specification because this sounds like a big blunder by Dell to sell what is essentially a monitor with only HDMI inputs. However, that does not appear to be true. From what I can see, the device has 3 display connectors: Mini HDMI, Mini DP, USB-C. Is this correct? If so, why did you not use a DisplayPort to Mini DP cable/adapter? I would highly recommend you connect via DisplayPort.

Canvas27_PortsView_BK_01.JPG

Solution