[SOLVED] I can't change the RGB on my Wraith Prism

Apr 21, 2020
I have the Ryzen 7 3700x which came with the Wraith Prism.
I also have the MSI MPG x570 GAMING EDGE WIFI Motherboard.
I tried using the specified program for changing the colours on the Wraith Prism, but it says "Plug in your CM device to get started"
I also tried using the motherboard program which is Mystic Light, but that was still no luck.

Solution
The rainbow affect is the default setting, it'll run like that whether there's cables plugged in or not.

I would contact whomever installed the cooler or built the pc and get them to send you the cables, they should have been included In the first place along with any and all other cable equipment that comes with components.

That's like buying a new car and not getting a spare tire.

The only way it'd be somewhat acceptable is if the pc was bought 2nd hand/used and you were well informed it was 'as is'.

The Wraith coolers are built by CM for AMD. Because of the differences in motherboards, some not having an RGB 4pin at all, CM was nice enough to design and include a non-RGB way of using the lighting. By the usb connector.

So if...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have not told us the "specified program" you used. I watched a Youtube Install video for some hints. I note that the Wraith Prism has plain RGB lighting (4-pin, 12 VDC system). Your mobo has both that type and some 3-pin ARGB light ports, too. HOWEVER, the install viddeo I saw says do NOT connect a cable from the 4-pin socket on the side of the Wraith to a mobo 4-pin plain RGB header. Instead, plug into a different socket only the cable with a 3-pin connector on one end, and a connector to plug into a mobo USB2 port. Then you must download and install the software utility designed for it. And the "trick" is that AMD specifies that you get it from the Cooler Master website, where you have to look for the utility for Wraith Prism fans. That utility uses the USB2 connection to send RGB control signals to the cooler, and you do NOT use the mobo's own utility for that job becasue you are not connecting the Wraith to any mobo RGB header.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No. The Prism body has two sockets on its side - one 3-pin, one 4-pin - and it comes with two cables. According to the video I saw (check your Wraith manual), you are to connect only ONE of these when you decide how to power and control its lights. To use the Cooler Master version of the Wraith RGB control system, you should connect ONLY the cable with a THREE-hole connector on one end (to the 3-pin socket) and then the larger connector on the other end goes to a USB2 header on your mobo.

IF you want to do it the other way, you connect the 4-hole cable to the 4-pin socket on the Wraith, and then plug the other end of that with 4 holes in a larger connector into one of your mobo's 4-pin plain RGB headers. In doing that last connection, you MUST get the polarity right The connector has a mark on one end to mark the +12 VDC line, and that must mate with the correct pin of the header which also should have a 12 VDC marker. Then you don't need the Cooler Master utility, nor the USB cable connection. You use the utility that comes with your MSI mobo to control RGB lights from the header. You may well be using that utility anyway for other lights.

Apr 28, 2020
To use the Cooler Master version of the Wraith RGB control system, you should connect ONLY the cable with a THREE-hole connector on one end (to the 3-pin socket) and then the larger connector on the other end goes to a USB2 header on your mobo.
This is confusing to me, mine came preinstalled. There's no 3 hole connector nor does it fit anywhere except the RBG connector. Removed it, leaving the CPUFAN connected, now it lights up in random colors but is still uncontrollable.

I ave no 4 pin connector nor did it come with one. Is it just broken or? Is there a way I can turn the lights off without unpowering the fan? the CoolerMaster program doesn't work either.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So the Wraith cooler you have is a different version that has ONLY one cable to plug into a mobo header, and it has THREE holes, right. To be sure, I expect that looks like it has space for 4 holes, but one is blocked off. Further, that fits only onto one of the two mobo headers marked JRAINBOW1 or ....2, the ones that have only THREE pins. Right?

All right. In that case, the ARGB lighting controller software you get from Cooler Master for the Wraith system is NOT going to work and you can ignore it. (Maybe even uninstall it if this proves right.) The ONLY real way to control the lights in that cooler is to use the utility provided by your mobo maker, the MSI Mystic Light. That is the tool that sends out control signals from the JRAINBOW1 etc. header. Now, that mobo has two headers for plain RGB called JRGBn, and two for Addressable RGB called JRAINBOWn. You will be using the latter. Within Mystic light I expect that all four of those headers are treated a separate lighting "channels". I expect that, for the two JRAINBOW headers, you have the option to program each separately or to synchronize them. I don't know if you are using any of the othere RGB headers. But at least look in Mystic Light at the JRAINBOW header you have plugged your Wraith cooler lighting cable into, and set it to generate the RGB displays you want. Ensure that Mystic Light is configured to load and start this job every time you boot up.

Apr 28, 2020
So the Wraith cooler you have is a different version that has ONLY one cable to plug into a mobo header, and it has THREE holes, right. To be sure, I expect that looks like it has space for 4 holes, but one is blocked off. Further, that fits only onto one of the two mobo headers marked JRAINBOW1 or ....2, the ones that have only THREE pins. Right?

All right. In that case, the ARGB lighting controller software you get from Cooler Master for the Wraith system is NOT going to work and you can ignore it. (Maybe even uninstall it if this proves right.) The ONLY real way to control the lights in that cooler is to use the utility provided by your mobo maker, the MSI Mystic Light. That is the tool that sends out control signals from the JRAINBOW1 etc. header. Now, that mobo has two headers for plain RGB called JRGBn, and two for Addressable RGB called JRAINBOWn. You will be using the latter. Within Mystic light I expect that all four of those headers are treated a separate lighting "channels". I expect that, for the two JRAINBOW headers, you have the option to program each separately or to synchronize them. I don't know if you are using any of the othere RGB headers. But at least look in Mystic Light at the JRAINBOW header you have plugged your Wraith cooler lighting cable into, and set it to generate the RGB displays you want. Ensure that Mystic Light is configured to load and start this job every time you boot up.
It has the normal plug that coolers usually have, then it has one that was plugged into one called JRBG1, it has 4 pins, but the plug is different and I cant make it fit anywhere else. When this is plugged it, the cooler lights up white and bright constantly. When I pulled it out and left it out, the cooler has this rainbow thing going on but still doesn't show up on the program. I'd take a picture of the plug but I am not at home currently. It's got a thick border around 4 round holes.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The rainbow affect is the default setting, it'll run like that whether there's cables plugged in or not.

I would contact whomever installed the cooler or built the pc and get them to send you the cables, they should have been included In the first place along with any and all other cable equipment that comes with components.

That's like buying a new car and not getting a spare tire.

The only way it'd be somewhat acceptable is if the pc was bought 2nd hand/used and you were well informed it was 'as is'.

The Wraith coolers are built by CM for AMD. Because of the differences in motherboards, some not having an RGB 4pin at all, CM was nice enough to design and include a non-RGB way of using the lighting. By the usb connector.

So if you have an available RGB port that matches, you can use that, if you don't then you use the CM utility and USB.

There's 2 kinds of RGB, 12v and 5v. 12v is usually for rgb led strips as they have far more lights to make work. 5v is usually for fans. They have different connectors.

The 3rd kind is ARGB, addressable RGB, which is quite different and often mixed up. It's a 4 pin connector with only 3 pins ( IOII ) and uses 5v. Because you have a 'rainbow' affect on the cooler, you have ARGB, plain RGB is a solid, single color on all the leds and will not do 'rainbow' at all. ARGB headers are even less common than RGB fan or RGB Strip, so even if you have RGB, you still cannot use that connection.

You will need the CM software utility and the cooler-USB cable, and other than the power cable, that's the only connection.

Last edited:
Solution