[SOLVED] I can't clone Windows (ONLY Windows, not data) from half-full 1TB HDD to 120GB SSD because the SSD isn't large enough.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 25, 2021
Hello all,

I have been using a 1TB hard drive with my self-built PC for a while now, but because of the slow speeds, I decided to get a 120GB SSD which I could migrate the Windows operating system onto and boot from. However, I still wanted to keep all the data on my HDD and still be able to access it like before.

So here's my problem: With all the software (AOMEI, EaseUS) that clones the OS from your HDD to an SSD, the size of the data stored on your old HDD needs to be smaller than the size of your new SSD, otherwise it won't work. But my 1TB HDD is around half-full, which means I can't use the software to clone the OS to the new SSD and then use it as my new boot drive.

Why????

I only want to use my SSD as the boot drive, but still keep all the data on my HDD. Windows 10 does fit on the SSD, so I don't understand why the SSD needs to be larger or as large as the data stored on the HDD. As I said, I don't want to migrate the data, only the OS.

Many people have made videos on how to have a HDD + SSD setup, but all of them have completely empty HDD's and SSD's. My problem is that my HDD is already half-full, and I don't want to lose the data on it.

How do I fix this problem?!

Thanks in advance!

Camembert

Solution
I think I'll clean install onto the SSD, because the amount of files on the HDD is just too big for the SSD and it'll take ages to try and reduce it. I will then back up and wipe the HDD and use it as my storage location for e.g. Documents, Program Files, etc. Then I can copy the backed up files back into the HDD. Sounds like a plan to me :D.

But from what I've seen in tutorials you have to create pretty much all the folders manually, and I'm not sure about the folders like AppData or Windows for example, would I also have to create a folder on the HDD with the same name and then somehow redirect the data to those folders? Like, there are so many folders and I don't know which ones belong on my SSD and which ones I should rather...