[SOLVED] I can't connect the Molex port to an MSI h310f because the GPU is in the way

Apr 7, 2020
Hi, I noticed that my performance on my GTX 1050 ti is a little low compared to others, sometimes too low, The GPU is running at maximum clock speeds with good temps in the 50's. But frame rates are low. So after looking inside my Mobo (MSI H310f minning card) i found out that it has 2 Molex ports to power up all the PCIE slots, and one of them is also used to power the x16 PCIE slot where my GPU is plugged in.

Anyway i removed the card, Plugged a Molex connector and when i tried to plug the graphics card again i couldn't because the Molex cable and port is too close to the PCIE slot and the card won't go all the way down and plug properly.

If anyone has issues picturing the problem just look for the motherboard online you will see.
So my question is, what do i do? Or what can i do? The GPU heatsink touches the Molex cable head.

Also i'm i right to assume that my GTX 1050 ti is limited by not plugging in the molex cable? The card itself doesn't have a 6 pin connector on it, and it says it will only need 75w from the motherboard. But the performance lf the card is lower than it should be, Even if it says it's running at full load with boost clocks and decent temps. And after countless DDU drivers reinstalls and even OS reinstalls and updates i can't find the source of the problem.

For the PSU i have a thermaltake 450w which people told me are bad but i don't know if it is the source lf the problem.

Specs :
i5 9400f
GTX 1050 ti
16gb ddr4 2400mhz
MSI H310f
120gb ssd
1tb HDD
Windows 10 pro v.1909

Solution
If you are using a single video card you do not need the molex power connector attached to the motherboard. That is there to supply extra power to the pci-e ports when using multiple cards.

If your card wasn't getting enough power it would throttle(frequencies would drop) or become unstable and crash. The molex connector is not what is hurting performance.

Thermaltakes only good units are on the high end(and usually overpriced). Everything else is mediocre to straight up garbage. Being 450w I'm guessing it's a Smart(mediocre at best) or a Litepower(pretty much junk)

Did you make sure mining mode was disabled in the bios? The board being optimized for mining could easily hurt gaming performance.

Except it has molex power...
Hi, I noticed that my performance on my GTX 1050 ti is a little low compared to others, sometimes too low, The GPU is running at maximum clock speeds with good temps in the 50's. But frame rates are low. So after looking inside my Mobo (MSI H310f minning card) i found out that it has 2 Molex ports to power up all the PCIE slots, and one of them is also used to power the x16 PCIE slot where my GPU is plugged in.

Anyway i removed the card, Plugged a Molex connector and when i tried to plug the graphics card again i couldn't because the Molex cable and port is too close to the PCIE slot and the card won't go all the way down and plug properly.

If anyone has issues picturing the problem just look for the motherboard online you will see.
So my question is, what do i do? Or what can i do? The GPU heatsink touches the Molex cable head.

Also i'm i right to assume that my GTX 1050 ti is limited by not plugging in the molex cable? The card itself doesn't have a 6 pin connector on it, and it says it will only need 75w from the motherboard. But the performance lf the card is lower than it should be, Even if it says it's running at full load with boost clocks and decent temps. And after countless DDU drivers reinstalls and even OS reinstalls and updates i can't find the source of the problem.

For the PSU i have a thermaltake 450w which people told me are bad but i don't know if it is the source lf the problem.

Specs :
i5 9400f
GTX 1050 ti
16gb ddr4 2400mhz
MSI H310f
120gb ssd
1tb HDD
Windows 10 pro v.1909
You shouldn’t need to use the molex power for a single video card. Why did you buy a mining board in the first place.

Apr 7, 2020
You shouldn’t need to use the molex power for a single video card. Why did you buy a mining board in the first place.
I didn't know it was a minning board, I got the CPU and Ram and for the board i asked for something compatible and i got this, When i found out it was a minning board i looked around online and from what people said it won't affect performance or be any different from a normal board.

Apr 7, 2020
Except it has molex power connectors that you are trying to use, which is different from every other board.😂🤷🏼‍♂️
Sorry i don't understand? I cannot plug the molex power connector because if i do that the GPU won't fit. So do i need to plug it?

bignastyid

Titan
If you are using a single video card you do not need the molex power connector attached to the motherboard. That is there to supply extra power to the pci-e ports when using multiple cards.

If your card wasn't getting enough power it would throttle(frequencies would drop) or become unstable and crash. The molex connector is not what is hurting performance.

Thermaltakes only good units are on the high end(and usually overpriced). Everything else is mediocre to straight up garbage. Being 450w I'm guessing it's a Smart(mediocre at best) or a Litepower(pretty much junk)

Did you make sure mining mode was disabled in the bios? The board being optimized for mining could easily hurt gaming performance.

Except it has molex power connectors that you are trying to use, which is different from every other board.😂🤷🏼‍♂️
It's not actually all that uncommon for motherboards to have a single molex or 6-pin pci-e connector to provide supplementary power to the pci-e ports.

Solution

It's not actually all that uncommon for motherboards to have a single molex or 6-pin pci-e connector to provide supplementary power to the pci-e ports.
Interesting because I’ve literally never seen that on a board before.

Apr 7, 2020
So i kinda forced the card in over the molex cable plugged in, Turns out everything works flawlessly now after plugging the molex power connector, But i had to screw the card a little hard and i fear it might break under pressure, when i remove the screw it still works but it goes up a little like 5mm because of the molex cable under it. I hope nothing breaks.

Apr 7, 2020

I managed to plug it in, Plugging the molex cable fixed every performance i had, And no before it didn't throttle when it didn't get enough power, It always showed as running at 1800mhz which is the boost frequency for the card. Now everything is fine, Frame rates jumped from 25 to 50

So i kinda forced the card in over the molex cable plugged in
Leaving it tightly squeezed could cut through insulation of the wires especially if they're bent really sharp. Do yourself a favor and get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HJDRC8

You have to be really careful that none of the pins, or wire from cut insulation, make contact with any metal parts as on the heatsink. This is really potentially dangerous.

Apr 7, 2020
Leaving it tightly squeezed could cut through insulation of the wires especially if they're bent really sharp. Do yourself a favor and get one of these:

You have to be really careful that none of the pins, or wire from cut insulation, make contact with any metal parts as on the heatsink. This is really potentially dangerous.
Thank you i will see what i can do

Apr 7, 2020

I plugged the molex to the secondary port which is away from the GPU, And everything is working fine, I didn't plug it in the second port in the first place because the Manual says it's not for the x16 PCIE port, I was really dumb and wasted a lot of time. Anyway thanks