[SOLVED] I can't delete an empty folder that has "!!" in the name

klear6

Honorable
Aug 24, 2015
I have a hard drive I use as a workstation instead of my desktop for reasons. At some point I transferred a folder to it called "((RESEARCH & COMPLETE ME!!))" I transferred it from another device but don't remember which one. Could have been Win 7 Pro, a modded version of Win 7, Android, an old Mac (not newest OS), or Kali (unlikely). I have tried deleting it multiple times and it keeps coming back. It is empty. It passes an avast and malware bytes scan with no problems. Have taken ownership of it and deleted it. Have renamed it and deleted it. Attempted to move it and rename it. No idea why this is happening, and it only seems to be with this one folder. External SSD. Ideas? Driving me crazy. Would be a HUGE project to format this drive bc I would have to transfer everything to others that aren't as big and it would be like one of those stupid slider puzzles made of squares. Help plz. I know this isn't entirely hardware related, but I am not sure where to post it and you guys know your stuff.

Solution
Boot off a Linux Live disk, find that folder and delete it. You probably used an illegal character in the file name for Windows, I see it often when files get moved from other operating systems. Path lengths also cause issues.
Are you sending it to the recycle bin ? It comes back when ? only after a restart ? Is it time or event dependent ?

Have you tried deleting it in safe mode ?

Cloud syncing service ? Turn it off.

Where the recycle bin is corrupted try this

Step 1_ Run Command Prompt as an administrator in Windows 10.
Step 2_ Type the command rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin and press enter.
Step 3_ Type exit to close the Command Prompt window.

Is the folder in a default download location for some program ?