I can't delete or rename DLS file

HowI used to be able to rename or delete the file GM.DLS in
c:\windows\system32\drivers. This enables me to use other sets of sound with
DirectX. All of a sudden - - since I installed SP2 - the old original file
keeps renewing itself whenever I try to rename, delete or write to it.

Why does this happen? How can I get round it? What other files are involved
in this? Whose computer is it anyway - surely I can change files around if I
want to

Sebastian wrote:
> HowI used to be able to rename or delete the file GM.DLS in
> c:\windows\system32\drivers. This enables me to use other sets of sound
> with DirectX. All of a sudden - - since I installed SP2 - the old
> original file keeps renewing itself whenever I try to rename, delete or
> write to it.
>
> Why does this happen?

Windows File Protection (WFP) is restoring a known-good version of the file
from the system32\dllcache folder.

> How can I get round it?

See the "HOWTO" section of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555047

> What other files are involved in this?

Most .DLL, .EXE, .OCX, and .SYS files; some .TTF files.

> Whose computer is it anyway - surely I can change
> files around if I want to

Yep, it's your computer and you can manage the files. Just that many users
get into a bind by having crucial system files accidentally deleted; thus
WFP. :)

--

....Sky

================

reboot into SAFE MODE to delete files

"Sebastian" <Sebastian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HowI used to be able to rename or delete the file GM.DLS in
> c:\windows\system32\drivers. This enables me to use other sets of sound
with
> DirectX. All of a sudden - - since I installed SP2 - the old original
file
> keeps renewing itself whenever I try to rename, delete or write to it.
>
> Why does this happen? How can I get round it? What other files are
involved
> in this? Whose computer is it anyway - surely I can change files around
if I
> want to

I haven't yet understood why I got myself into this mess, or what to do about
in the longer term - but this solution worked and I'm back on track for
moment. Thanks for all tips and information.