[SOLVED] I cant delete the partitions on my secondary drive?

ferdin13

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
So I have this second 1 tb ssd that I got from someone and the thing is that it is better than my primary one that has windows. I've been using it for a while as secondary storage but I have decided that I want to clone my OS onto it because it would benefit from faster speeds, but now I tried to use clean on disk part and it gives me error "clean is not allowed in the disk containing the current boot.. etc" and this is odd because I have never installed anything only games. I have deleted all the games for the clone only like 2, but it still has 20 gb used on it and I don't know why please help.

Solution
Given that the system boots without the new target drive, this clone process.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung target SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up

Verify the system boots with ONLY the current "C drive" connected.
If...
Will your PC boot if this "second 1 TB ssd that I got from someone else" is totally disconnected and you are using ONLY your "primary one that has windows"?

Yes or no?

When you clone, you should NOT have to delete anything from the destination drive. The cloning procedure will do what is necessary. Everything on the destination drive will be automatically removed. You should not have to use Diskpart at all.

What program are you using for the clone?

ferdin13

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
Will your PC boot if this "second 1 TB ssd that I got from someone else" is totally disconnected and you are using ONLY your "primary one that has windows"?

Yes or no?

When you clone, you should NOT have to delete anything from the destination drive. The cloning procedure will do what is necessary. Everything on the destination drive will be automatically removed. You should not have to use Diskpart at all.

What program are you using for the clone?
I am using macrium reflect 8 free. No, it will not boot on the drive because there is absolutely nothing on the drive. So I do not need to delete partitions to clone, I can just press start?

I am using macrium reflect 8 free. No, it will not boot on the drive because there is absolutely nothing on the drive. So I do not need to delete partitions to clone, I can just press start?

You said in your first post that you have been using the faster SSD as a storage drive.

You said in your first post that Diskpart failed, complaining that the disk contains the current boot.

Now you say "there is absolutely nothing on the drive".

Which is correct? You say there is absolutely nothing on it. Diskpart says it contains the current boot.

Try what I stated in my first post:

Disconnect this drive that diskpart is complaining about.....the drive that you say is absolutely empty.

Leaving ONLY your old Windows drive connected.

Will the PC then boot?

Yes or no?

ferdin13

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
You said in your first post that you have been using the faster SSD as a storage drive.

You said in your first post that Diskpart failed, complaining that the disk contains the current boot.

Now you say "there is absolutely nothing on the drive".

Which is correct? You say there is absolutely nothing on it. Diskpart says it contains the current boot.

Try what I stated in my first post:

Disconnect this drive that diskpart is complaining about.....the drive that you say is absolutely empty.

Leaving ONLY your old Windows drive connected.

Will the PC then boot?

Yes or no?
Yes, the PC boots with just the small drive because it's the only drive that has windows. I tried replugging the better ssd with nothing in it, they are nvmes, and the same thing happens, but if I am just able to clone the drive without deleting the partition will there be a problem?

Yes, the PC boots with just the small drive because it's the only drive that has windows. I tried replugging the better ssd with nothing in it, they are nvmes, and the same thing happens, but if I am just able to clone the drive without deleting the partition will there be a problem?

Hmmm.....Diskpart refused to let you clean the disk.

That implies that Windows was then using part that disk. Just like Diskpart says..."containing the boot". You can't "clean" a disk you are using at that moment.

How sure are you that the disk you tried to clean in Diskpart was the new disk?

If your PC will boot with ONLY the old drive connected, that implies that ALL of Windows is on the old disk. If that is true and you then successfully clone that disk, the new disk should be replica of the old disk and should also boot.

I am not sitting at your keyboard, so I cannot properly evaluate what you have done or are doing.

You don't need to delete anything when you clone. Macrium will delete and reformat the drive as part of the clone process.

Macrium imaging is another process that can work. Rather than cloning.

Cloning can completely fail for whatever reason.

You need to know what you will do if it fails.

If whoever owned the 1tb ssd before had windows on there then it could still have the boot files on it, they wouldn't show up in explorer.
If diskpart refuses to delete partitions then the most probable thing is that a cloning tool will also refuse to use that disk, try it though maybe it will do it.

Also it might be worth it to go into bios and check that you always boot from the old disk, it could be that it is on auto and automatically boots from the 1tb to your windows on the old disk.

Finally if you upload a pic of disk manager with all the info showing about the 1tb disk people will be able to help you better.

ferdin13

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
If whoever owned the 1tb ssd before had windows on there then it could still have the boot files on it, they wouldn't show up in explorer.
If diskpart refuses to delete partitions then the most probable thing is that a cloning tool will also refuse to use that disk, try it though maybe it will do it.

Also it might be worth it to go into bios and check that you always boot from the old disk, it could be that it is on auto and automatically boots from the 1tb to your windows on the old disk.

Finally if you upload a pic of disk manager with all the info showing about the 1tb disk people will be able to help you better.
The drive is from a friend, he told me he had no use as he upgraded and I bought it from him for only 20 dollars. He said it had a windows 10 os on it before but he reformatted it. when I started to use the drive it was completely empty so I just made a new partition, but now I can't delete that. Also I will try to provide images asap tomorrow. The drive name is the 1 TB Samsung 980 NVME SSD. The computer it's in is an HP computer with the following specs:
Intel Core i5 12400
16 GB RAM
256 NVME SSD (the boot drive that I want to transfer to the 980)

EDIT: I am very sorry I didn't mention this in the beginning but I did not think it was that important until you mentioned something of a previous windows installation

If this PC will boot when the drive you bought from your friend and all other drives other than your "primary" drive are removed, it should not matter what is on the new drive now or what was on it in the past.

You say it will boot with only the old drive connected and we have to take your word for that.

You shouldn't have to delete anything from the new drive.

You shouldn't have to use Diskpart at all.

You shouldn't have to format any drive.

You could try a clone right now. It fails or it works.

HP computers are quite proprietary. It's anybody's guess what roadblocks it may put in your path.

Last edited:
Reactions: ferdin13

USAFRet

Titan

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung target SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Power up

If not, we have to fix that first.

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specify the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

(swapping cables is irrelevant with NVMe drives, but DO disconnect the old drive for this next part)
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Reactions: ferdin13
Solution

ferdin13

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022

Power off
Power up

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specify the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done

(swapping cables is irrelevant with NVMe drives, but DO disconnect the old drive for this next part)
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive

This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Thank you guys for your help. I'll let you know how it goes, and if any problems arise.

ferdin13

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022

Power off
Power up

[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done

I have encountered a problem, it says that Macrium Reflect is unable to dismount the volume. Here is the image:
How do I fix this? I assume its the problem with some storage still being on the drive even though I can't see it.

USAFRet

Titan
I have encountered a problem, it says that Macrium Reflect is unable to dismount the volume. Here is the image:
How do I fix this? I assume its the problem with some storage still being on the drive even though I can't see it.
When, exactly, did that error pop up?

At the end of the clone process, did you...
Power OFF
Physically disconnect the old drive
Allow the system to try to boot up from ONLY the new drive?

It appears not.

ferdin13

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
When, exactly, did that error pop up?

At the end of the clone process, did you...
Power OFF
Physically disconnect the old drive
Allow the system to try to boot up from ONLY the new drive?

It appears not.
happened as soon as I started the procedure, nothing happend because of the error.

USAFRet

Titan
What USB?
OK, somehow I thought you were trying a full clean OS install.

For this clone thing....

You cannot do a clean operation on the drive the OS is booted from. At all.
Also, you do NOT need to clean the Target drive.

So, start over.

Remove ALL drives except what was there originally.
Boot up, post a screencap of your Disk Management window.
WE can proceed from there.

ferdin13

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
OK, somehow I thought you were trying a full clean OS install.

For this clone thing....

You cannot do a clean operation on the drive the OS is booted from. At all.
Also, you do NOT need to clean the Target drive.

So, start over.

Remove ALL drives except what was there originally.
Boot up, post a screencap of your Disk Management window.
WE can proceed from there.
View: https://imgur.com/a/F5ziBFL

TRENDING THREADS