[SOLVED] I can't download anything despite having ok speeds ?

Stanthelad

Prominent
Oct 20, 2021
I don't have the best internet but both ookla and testmynet give me around 40 Mbps download, but actually downloading anything it never goes higher than 400kbps.
Launchers like steam and xbox store hit around 5MB (or Mb I'm not sure) but chrome and opera can't handle anything ?

Solution
That is strange because speedtesting sites are actually file download/upload that do not keep the file. 5MByte on steam is almost exactly 40mbit on speedtest.

What happens if you go to some site like microsoft and download a large file like a window10 image.

You should be able see the rates in the resource monitor network tab. Be careful some values are in BYTES and others in bits.

Chrome and maybe opera have the ability to both run forms of vpn or proxy in the browser itself. Check that none of this is actually configured to be used. Maybe backup any bookmarks completely uninstall chrome and reinstall it telling to wipe all data.
That is strange because speedtesting sites are actually file download/upload that do not keep the file. 5MByte on steam is almost exactly 40mbit on speedtest.

What happens if you go to some site like microsoft and download a large file like a window10 image.

You should be able see the rates in the resource monitor network tab. Be careful some values are in BYTES and others in bits.

Chrome and maybe opera have the ability to both run forms of vpn or proxy in the browser itself. Check that none of this is actually configured to be used. Maybe backup any bookmarks completely uninstall chrome and reinstall it telling to wipe all data.

Solution

Stanthelad

Prominent
Oct 20, 2021
With the image do you go to Microsoft and save an image from there like save as... if so then it works fine and I have disabled both VPN and proxy features on both

Yes it is that simple.

There must be something different about the sites that are having issues. It could be the site itself or maybe it is using some other feature in the browser such as java script to do the downloads. I run adblockers and that seems to break some sites.

It is going to take some investigation to try to find what is different about the sites having a issue and the something like microsoft.