[SOLVED] I can't download updates through Windows Update

Lef_Nutz

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
What's happening basically is that my Windows Update won't let me download updates for my Windows 10 Pro, whether that would be a security update or a major content update. It's always stuck at 0% downloading. Also, I can't download any apps from the Microsoft Store at all, so I'm speculating that the Microsoft Store issue is connected with the Windows Update one. Please help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
If it did, that's likely the problem.

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Use the above link to legally download and clean install Windows 10. When it comes to the part where it asks for the activation key, click "Skip" (again, this is perfectly legal). You won't get to customize the background and task bar and you'll have an annoying (to some people) Activate Windows 10 watermark, but you will get all updates.

-Wolf sends

P.S. For the record, Tom's Hardware does not support software piracy in any way, shape, or form.

Wolfshadw

Titan
How was Windows 10 installed? Did your computer come pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro or did you install it yourself?
If it came pre-installed, when was the last time you ran a malware/anti-virus scan?
If you installed it yourself, where did the ISO file come from (and when was the last time you ran a malware/anti-virus scan)?

-Wolf sends

Lef_Nutz

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
How was Windows 10 installed? Did your computer come pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro or did you install it yourself?
If it came pre-installed, when was the last time you ran a malware/anti-virus scan?
If you installed it yourself, where did the ISO file come from (and when was the last time you ran a malware/anti-virus scan)?

-Wolf sends
It didn't come pre-installed, I installed it myself. A friend installed it, to be more exact. I think the ISO file came from Pirate Bay.

Wolfshadw

Titan

Use the above link to legally download and clean install Windows 10. When it comes to the part where it asks for the activation key, click "Skip" (again, this is perfectly legal). You won't get to customize the background and task bar and you'll have an annoying (to some people) Activate Windows 10 watermark, but you will get all updates.

-Wolf sends

P.S. For the record, Tom's Hardware does not support software piracy in any way, shape, or form.

Reactions: Lef_Nutz
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
It didn't come pre-installed, I installed it myself. A friend installed it, to be more exact. I think the ISO file came from Pirate Bay.
Yep. As above, a full wipe and reinstall of the entire system. You never know what other nasties are included with pirated software.

Lef_Nutz

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

-Wolf sends

Does the tool give you the option to choose between Windows 10 Home and Win 10 Pro?

Wolfshadw

Titan
And just an educated guess here, but I would think that if you installed Windows 10 Pro and later decided to activate it, you would need to purchase a Windows 10 Pro license (at the higher cost) or go through the reinstall process for Windows 10 Home.

-Wolf sends