[SOLVED] I cant enable windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant enable windows update at all on my windows computer I watched videos of how to speed up a computer with registry stuff etc
but I cant enable windows update anymore it also says stuff about how my it has limited my privledges or something like that in windows settings
I tried enabling windows update in services and other places since when I click windows update its just blank i tried both safemode and non safemode I am the only account on this computer and I have admin privledges and I dont have an it person I own this computer here is a picture https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zS.../view?usp=drive_open&usp=embed_googleplus
please help it makes it so I cant update or get apps from the windows store

Solution
When you get into a jackpot like that your only real option is wipe and reinstall clean. You're running a year+ old release. Get the latest Win10 release from Microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10), create your new installation source, backup all important files, reboot using the newly created installer, wipe the disk and install Windows. Once that's done and verified working then reinstall your software and restore data from backup.

USAFRet

Titan
Where, specifically, did this OS and license come from?
Was Windows Update ever enabled?
How did it come to be turned off?

Before you started down the path of those magical registry edits, did you create a backup of the Registry?
Do you have a backup of the whole drive or system from before you did this?

When you get into a jackpot like that your only real option is wipe and reinstall clean. You're running a year+ old release. Get the latest Win10 release from Microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10), create your new installation source, backup all important files, reboot using the newly created installer, wipe the disk and install Windows. Once that's done and verified working then reinstall your software and restore data from backup.

Solution
Where, specifically, did this OS and license come from?
Was Windows Update ever enabled?
How did it come to be turned off?

Before you started down the path of those magical registry edits, did you create a backup of the Registry?
Do you have a backup of the whole drive or system from before you did this?
I have a restore point thats at 11:25/2019 but thats the oldest thats still on my computer and my license of windows is real it was bought from microsoft
is there any program that can reset registry to default? is there any way cause I really really dont wanna have to reset my computer is there a way to keep all files? wait can I create a backup on my hard drive I have my os on an ssd and a hard drive for games my hard drive has enough space is there a way?

I have a restore point thats at 11:25/2019 but thats the oldest thats still on my computer and my license of windows is real it was bought from microsoft
is there any program that can reset registry to default? is there any way cause I really really dont wanna have to reset my computer is there a way to keep all files? wait can I create a backup on my hard drive I have my os on an ssd and a hard drive for games my hard drive has enough space is there a way?
There's no way around a reinstall at this point. Copy all files that you want to keep to another physical drive, NOT a partition on the system drive. Then remove that backup drive and continue with the reinstall.

Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
Find your windows activation code.
It should have come with your product materials.
Otherwise there are apps that will retrieve it for you.
One is "magical jellybean keyfinder"
Use that code to reactivate windows.
If it will not activate, it is likely that someone has stolen your code.
You will need to call microsoft and explain the situation.

If you are going to do a new clean install, consider buying a new ssd.
Intel 660P 1tb m.2 drives are cheap.
Disconnect all other drives and do a clean install.
Use your activation code to activate.

If anything goes wrong, your disconnected parts are still there and untouched.
When windows is running then you can reattach your old drives and all of your data files will still be there.
It is the apps that used the registry to install that are the issue and you will need to reinstall them.

Status
Not open for further replies.