user

Splendid

I can't execute any prog' like PING or IPCONFIg or even HELP etc.
How can iI fix that ??? (it does perform cls and exit) or re-register those
external commands??? ex:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Itay>ipconfig
'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."
--
:|||***Klingon INC***|||:

"Today is a good day to die"

???? wrote:
> I can't execute any prog' like PING or IPCONFIg or even HELP etc.
> How can iI fix that ??? (it does perform cls and exit) or re-register
> those external commands??? ex:
>
> "C:\Documents and Settings\Itay>ipconfig
> 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file."

Sound like your path is messed up.. Let's verify..

Open a CMD prompt.

First try simple commands:

SET
<ENTER>

DIR
<ENTER>

Then Type this in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\ping.exe
<ENTER>

Whether or not that works, then try this:

CD %SystemRoot%
<ENTER>

CD System32
<ENTER>

PING
<ENTER>

If those work - come back and let us know - then maybe we can fix your
pathing.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: "????" <@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I can't execute any prog' like PING or IPCONFIg or even HELP etc.
| How can iI fix that ??? (it does perform cls and exit) or re-register those
| external commands??? ex:
|
| "C:\Documents and Settings\Itay>ipconfig
| 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
| operable program or batch file."
| --
| :|||***Klingon INC***|||:
|
| "Today is a good day to die"

If it can't find IPCONFIG.EXE and it exists on the system then there is a problem with the
OS 'path'.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

user

Splendid

OK, I tried to do what you've been asking me to do and it all passes...
by te way, when I wrote PATH in cmd it shows me :
PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;..., so the system and system32 are
registeredin the "Path file".
--
:|||***Klingon INC***|||:

"Today is a good day to die"

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> ???? wrote:
> > I can't execute any prog' like PING or IPCONFIg or even HELP etc.
> > How can iI fix that ??? (it does perform cls and exit) or re-register
> > those external commands??? ex:
> >
> > "C:\Documents and Settings\Itay>ipconfig
> > 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable program or batch file."
>
> Sound like your path is messed up.. Let's verify..
>
> Open a CMD prompt.
>
> First try simple commands:
>
> SET
> <ENTER>
>
> DIR
> <ENTER>
>
> Then Type this in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\ping.exe
> <ENTER>
>
> Whether or not that works, then try this:
>
> CD %SystemRoot%
> <ENTER>
>
> CD System32
> <ENTER>
>
> PING
> <ENTER>
>
> If those work - come back and let us know - then maybe we can fix your
> pathing.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htmlSounds like your

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

=?Utf-8?B?15DXmdeq15k=?= <?@?.?.invalid> wrote on Sat, 3 Sep 2005:

>OK, I tried to do what you've been asking me to do and it all passes...
>by te way, when I wrote PATH in cmd it shows me :
>PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;..., so the system and system32 are
>registeredin the "Path file".

Hi

If your Path in the Command window is showing unexpanded variables like
%SystemRoot% instead of C:\Windows, it sounds like some program has
tried to update the Path setting in the Registry and made a mess of it.

Open Regedit (Start > Run, type Regedit <OK>) and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
Look for the Path value in the right-hand pane; what does it say in the
"Type" column? It should be REG_EXPAND_SZ. If it says REG_SZ instead,
that's the problem and you need to change it.

If you're not happy editing the Registry, there's a small utility called
Fixpath.exe that should do it for you. Download Fixpath2.zip from:
http://internet.cybermesa.com/ ~bstewart/misctools.html
(thanks to MVP Torgeir Bakken for the link.)

Hope this helps.

--
Nightowl

user