Question I can't figure out how to get 240hz on my monitor

Aesul

Reputable
Jan 15, 2020
So I've just bought this computer:
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/build/14216

and I'm trying to get it to run at 240 hz on this monitor:
https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product...UHwkUsW6AqpEOw0Ey7Ufsui755M-8pBMaAqJEEALw_wcB

I'm on Windows 10 and I did this:

1. Right-click desktop background
  2. Click display settings
  3. Click 'Display adapter properties'
  4. Click 'List All Modes'
  5. Check what setting you're on, and if 1920x1080, 240 Hertz is an option
There is no option for 240hz the highest it goes is 120hz and when I use that the monitor has a black line flicker to it. I'm not very happy as I spent a lot of money on what I thought was a high end PC. I'm not sure what version HDMI cable I'm using so that might be the case.
Can anyone help? Is my PC good enough to work at 240 hz?

Much thanks.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you have your manual? I'm getting conflicting information as to exactly what model this is; the manufacturer part number on this website doesn't match with the specs listed. There ought to be a list of modes at the back of the manual. The first thing to figure out is if the monitor actually does 240 Hz over HDMI, which most monitors don't.

Aesul

Reputable
Jan 15, 2020
Do you have your manual? I'm getting conflicting information as to exactly what model this is; the manufacturer part number on this website doesn't match with the specs listed. There ought to be a list of modes at the back of the manual. The first thing to figure out is if the monitor actually does 240 Hz over HDMI, which most monitors don't.
Thanks for replying. I can't locate the manual, in fact I'm not sure if it even came with one. The only inputs on the monitor are 2x HDMI and one DP port so one would think it casn run HDMI at 240 hz. If it doesn't I'm pissed 'cos I spent a lot of money on that monitor, for what? 60 hz it would seem.

Can you recommend any good monitors that will actually run my PC at 240 hz, and ones that can run HDMI at 240 hz if that's possible so I can play on my xbox one with it too? Also, is my PC good enough to run 240hz?

Just thought I should mention I did a bit of googling and came across this:
"This is where the HDMI 2.0 kicks in which further expands the color depth and adds smoothness to 4K via 60Hz support. It also adds support for the 21:9 aspect ratio and 3D stereoscopic format. Additionally, the HDMI 2.0 allows for 1440p at 144Hz and 1080p at 240Hz. Both 1.4 and 2.0 versions support the adaptive-sync i.e. AMD FreeSync technology. "

Many thanks.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I fixed it! It was an older HDMI cable or something and now its running at 240Hz on a newer cable.

Thanks heaps for replying anyway :).

Glad it worked. Yeah, you needed a High Speed HDMI cable. It seems like you've got it sorted out.

As for the other stuff, HDMI does allows for higher framerates, but the monitor has to support those framerates; it's not an automatic thing. The key word is allows. For example, all G-Sync monitors that have HDMI ports, no matter the HDMI version, are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI (I know you have FreeSync, but it's just an example of HDMI on monitors not supporting a refresh rate it could theoretically support).

TRENDING THREADS