I can't find an Answer.

MissJessika

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Been searching all over, had different opinions but I still can't seem to find the answer I was looking for so I will type out my question thoroughly:

First, my Build choice....

My 2018-2023 Build

I want to use 2x NVMe SSD Drives on my new build. No wired SSDs ect.

My Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard has two M.2 Slots.

The NVMe SSDs I am considering getting are the:
Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 (For OS/Boot)
Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 (For Data/Games/Other)

The GPU choice is the: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition.

I would like the NVMes and the GPU to run at their max rating without performance issues, hiccups or Lag.

Will that combo work with the 2700X Ryzen CPU?

WildCard999

Titan
It's a solid build and will game well, the only issue is that the AMD Wraith Prism stock cooler will give you about the same performance as that H7 so there's really no need to spend that extra money.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

This looks like a really solid build, however, what do you plan to do with it? If your gaming those NVME drives are not worth it and your better off with a high capacity SSD and a 2+tb HDD, if your video editing or photo editing the NVME drives make sense however you may need more memory than 16gb's. If your game streaming/recording you may want to ditch the bigger 500gb NVME drive and go with a 500gb or 1th Sata SSD and some HDD storage.

MissJessika

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
From what I have read and seen the stock cooler is too loud, gets hot easily and has pre-applied TP?
I never use Stock Coolers, the extra money spent will be worth it IMO. Do you have comparison links for them? I'm not a fan of RGB so the 3 wires are a turn off, as well as the Fan facing the MB dragging hot air in the case towards the Chip and Board instead of away. If it's pulling heat away from the CPU, where does the cooler air come from? Just an observation. :)

I plan on Gaming and Streaming with it. I was debating keeping my current 850 Evo 2.5" 500GB SSD for Data, but it's a cable I don't want in my new build.

Would the SATA SSD interfere with the NVMe unless I placed it in a specific SATA slot or required to?

WildCard999

Titan
They perform quite well even after overclock and the Prism is the best they offer, temp wise there great but I haven't heard much about the sound.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1635-amd-wraith-coolers-compared/

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

AMD's new stock coolers do get about as loud as a screaming Intel stock cooler on an 8700k @5ghz, but the fans they use are at a very low frequency so they are super easy to tone out, especially in a case with sound dampening. I would recommend you get an aftermarket cooler, but the stock one will be more than enough for stock speeds or a light OC.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Generally when using an NVME drive, using the slots on the motherboard, it will disabled the last Sata port or ports depending on the amount of drives, so you should be fine with 1 or 2 SSD's over Sata. Also, they make sleeved Sata cables that look really nice if you don't want yee old red ones floating about in yer case. For gaming and streaming your NVME drives don't make a ton of sense, especially if you want to save the footage.

You will most likely be better off with a 250gb NVME as your boot drive and a high capacity Sata SSD, your 850 EVO would work perfect for this, for some games and your recording/ streaming software and other frequently used filed. As well as a large multi-terabyte HDD for game storage as large games, like GTA 5, take up A LOT of space.

I understand you don't want the Sata cables in your case, as they are annoying to manage with, but you may want to consider using them as your current NVME solution will fill fairly quickly and is very expensive compared to Sata drives.

MissJessika

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
That makes a lot of sense.
I want to try the new NVMe as my Boot/OS drive at least. Maybe get another 500GB 850 Evo and put it with my older 500Gb Evo in Raid setup? (Never done anything in Raid before).
Or..

Use both my current 850 Evos (250GB + 500GB) and put them in Raid for 750GB?
Of course use the New NVMe as my Boot/OS still.

Would that work?

USAFRet

Titan

No. RAID does not stack like that.
250GB + 500GB + RAID 0 = 500GB RAID volume.
2x the size of the smallest drive.

Plus, RAID 0 with SSD's isn't a real benefit, unless you have a particular high bandwidth application for it.
The vast majority of use cases....it does noting.

MissJessika

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017

So I guess I'll just buy the 250GB NVMe and use my 3 yr old Evo 850 500GB.
Edit: This is what my BUILD looks like now.
I'm actually getting the 2700X for $289. :)

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Raid 5 however, with Raid 0 if you lose 1 drive you lose all the data on both drives, I would recommend you run Raid 5 with another 500gb 850 evo, you'll still be left with 500gb's of data total but if 1 drive dies you keep all your data and all you have to do is add another 500gb drive and tell it to rebuild the array. However I still don't recommend raid SSD's, it isn't rerally worth it unless you can't lose the data stored on them if your working with pricey things.

USAFRet

Titan

RAID 5 requires a minimum of 3 similar size drives.
3x 500GB drives + RAID 5 = 1TB of user space.

MissJessika

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Thank you all for the replies.
It looks like I will just use my old 850 Evo and the new 970 Evo. One Cable isn't going to hurt me. LOL
I DO want to experience my OS/Boot on an NVMe Drive attached to the board itself.

I am debating a different Motherboard maybe. i do not plan on Overclocking anything.